IMPROVEMENT REQUEST - JCache and whole of joomla?

Ruben Goethals

Nov 16, 2009, 6:03:53 PM11/16/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
About the improvement that I proposed here: IMPROVEMENT REQUEST - JCache and whole of joomla?
I wrote a patch for it (see attached file) as requested.   Now, this is a very small improvement, but how do I / we continue with my other requests in that posts about using this technique in other places?
I can't handle all of them; I 'd like a plan or tracker or something.  At least your opinions.

P.S. Also the first time I write a patch or use this group, so go easy on me.  I spent 4 hours installing everything (eclipse and stuff)....pfff...and euh..eclipse is still open for much improvement (though I love it for joomla_development )

Cheers,     e-builds

JCache improvement patch 2009-11-16.zip

e-builds

Dec 30, 2009, 9:15:34 AM12/30/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Anyone?
Or isn't this enough of a performance gain? At least on the cache
code it should matter a bit, since a cache should run as fast as
possible, not? And also, if a patch is already written, why not even
allow the smallest gain?
Or is it a better practice to put this request immediatly in the
tracker?
RFC

Mitch Pirtle

Dec 30, 2009, 9:42:35 AM12/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

I'm all for simplicity - and like what you propose. Doesn't seem to
introduce any possible incompatibilities, and obviously provides a bit
of future proofing for future configuration options.

Not sure if you need to create a tracker item and submit the patch
there or not. Who from the 1.5 and 1.6 teams can review his patch and
respond?

-- Mitch

ssnobben

Dec 31, 2009, 3:59:10 AM12/31/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
If you go to http://www.joomlaperformance.com/ dev of Anthony Ferrara
previous Joomla core dev and download a nightly built QueryCache
qc_1.5_rev361.tgz 2009-Oct-31 01:00:04 10.0K application/x-tgz its
working fine for J 1.5. Anthony have an article about 52 PHP
Programming Tips too http://www.joomlaperformance.com/articles/performance/52_php_programming_tips_43_14.html

I also like the CssJsCompress that working fine with QueryCache
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/cache/7350 I
also think this kind of improvement should belong to the core to
improve the Joomla performance.

Hannes Papenberg

Dec 31, 2009, 7:20:11 AM12/31/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
The CssJSCompress, in fact, does not improve performance of the Joomla
core. Quite the opposite. What it does is, that it marginally reduces
the amount of HTML/JS/CSS to be downloaded by the end-user, but in 99%
of the cases, this is really not relevant. Only a few sites that I made,
have more than 50KB of HTML/unminified JS/CSS, but instead quite a lot
more images, flash, etc. At the same time however, it requires more
computing power to remove the whitespaces.

Hannes

Andrew Godziuk

Dec 31, 2009, 7:49:46 AM12/31/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how much speed gain this change gives, after all it was
just a couple of if statements before. But I'm pretty sure it's much
elegant code (it's data-driven after all).

I would like to see similar constructs found throughout Joomla
replaced by what has been proposed.

--
Andrzej Godziuk
http://CloudAccess.net/

Mateusz Krzeszowiec

Jan 1, 2010, 4:33:32 PM1/1/10
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
My 2 euro cents:

JS and CSS files merging/minification is a great thing to have for
many reasons, to mention few:
- decreased server load (especially when static files are served by
apache which shouldn't be the case for "big" sites anyway)
- faster page load because of less http requests and minified data
- faster rendering time

The thing is that combining files and minifying 'em is a thing that
shouldn't be done "live" (unless you have good reason for that), I
think that you should do both with a script that you execute when
preparing your site for internal/client acceptance tests and
production.

For performance gain - when combined with things like lazy loading,
css sprites and so on - most of the time it'll be quite significant.
You'll surely find loads of articles about that in blogosphere.

Greetings,
mat

P.S.
Go for http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/ if you didn't read it yet :)

Hannes Papenberg

Jan 5, 2010, 4:12:26 AM1/5/10
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ruben,
sorry for getting back to you on this one so late, but here we go: I
like this approach a lot, its cleaner and more like the mootools code
out there, which I think is great. I'd love to see this used in all our
classes, where its appropriate. Can you go through or code base and
create a patch to change all instances? Submit it to the Feature Patch
Tracker and we'll commit it.

Hannes

Am 17.11.2009 00:03, schrieb Ruben Goethals:
> About the improvement that I proposed here: IMPROVEMENT REQUEST -
> JCache and whole of joomla?

> <http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=500&t=460840&start=0>

> I wrote a patch for it (see attached file) as requested. Now, this
> is a very small improvement, but how do I / we continue with my other
> requests in that posts about using this technique in other places?
> I can't handle all of them; I 'd like a plan or tracker or something.
> At least your opinions.
>
> P.S. Also the first time I write a patch or use this group, so go easy
> on me. I spent 4 hours installing everything (eclipse and
> stuff)....pfff...and euh..eclipse is still open for much improvement
> (though I love it for joomla_development )
>
> Cheers, e-builds

> joomla-dev-cm...@googlegroups.com

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cms?hl=en-GB

klas

Jan 12, 2010, 5:51:12 PM1/12/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
This solution doesn't work, because at that point $options array can
have empty values and with array_merge those empty ones overwrite
default ones, which old solution with isset prevents.

I replaced array_merge with:

foreach ($this->_options AS $option) {
if (isset($options[$option])) {
$this->_options[$option] = $options[$option];
}

If anyone knows any better solution please let me know.

klas....@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2010, 9:23:16 PM1/12/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Sorry, should be:

foreach ($this->_options AS $option=>$value) {