Preparing ground for extension dependencies

Nils Rückmann

Oct 9, 2012, 9:29:53 PM10/9/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, i'm currently working on a concept to declare dependencies between extensions and came across a problem which always irritated me:

The Joomla CMS is generally build on a libraries, components, modules, plugins, templates languages and a few files, which all can be stored in a package.
So why we are not using our extension-types (or installer adapters) for the core ?

It would unify our structure and give us the ability to create a global way to work with core/extensions.

Unlike now we should have the Joomla Package which contains lib_joomla, file_joomla, pkg_content and so on.
It's not only about the dependency thing (because no one will use "com_content version x" as dependency) but there are so many
things like media or sql which belongs to the right package and not to an "wibbly wobbly"-thing called Joomla-Overall-File-Package.

I'm not sure if it's understandable ( still no native speaker ) but i hope you could enlight me with your opinions ;)

piotr_cz

Oct 10, 2012, 4:05:09 AM10/10/12
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi there,

I've noticed that some extensions (system/highlight and finder/*
plugins) have <scriptfile>script.php</scriptfile> entry, but no such
file in it's folder.

IMHO packaging native extensions would open new opportunities like the
ability to omit some extensions on install and install these later on.
I think the ground is prepared, we just need to finish it.

I don't see additional asset in extending dependency system for CMS
(yes for Platform packages), I really like how packaging works at the
moment. Dependency check might be done using script files, but I might
be wrong.

What I'd realy like to see is another event for script files when user
is upgrading to new Joomla version (systemUpdate) so extensions would
have an ability to check for own compatibility.

For example when upgrading from Joomla 2.5 to 3.0 extension could
replace it's view files to bootstrapped version or disable itself to
not break the site.
User could than wait till an there's an update to extension when it's
3.0 compatibile, update extension and enable it.

Nils Rückmann

Oct 12, 2012, 2:39:53 PM10/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
That's one case where dependencies could be an improvement.
Let's assume we have an Joomla 2.5 installation with an extension which depends on joomla 2.5.***. Now there's Joomla 3.0 and some people want to update. They click our cool new "Update Joomla" button and getting an warning that there are extensions which maybe don't like that. So the user can decide if he wants to take the risk. Let's say the ther's an update for that extension which changes the dependency to " 2.5.*** or 3.0.*** ". No the dependency check for our Joomla update will pass.

There are other situations where dependencies can improve Joomla, like the situation that someone wants to remove a plugin which is important for an extension.

Maybe i missed something, but i see really good reasons for implementing dependencies and nothing against that.
By the way, the final goal could be an repository or our extensions where we can download extensions from joomla backend.
And even if Joomla isn't about money, maybe there comes a day where Joomla could integrate commercial extensions too and take a benefit, like other systems already do (Win8, Ubuntu, Android, iOS .. okay there are all operating systems, but i hope you get my point).

Nils Rückmann

Oct 17, 2012, 7:20:33 PM10/17/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
So nobody is interested in dependencies for Joomla ?

Ofer Cohen

Oct 27, 2012, 6:34:21 AM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Hey Nils
it sounds great idea. I think it's must-have feature.
Can you open a page in the wiki with the idea, its goal and simple spec. Then others will review it and give their feedback, before starting implementation.

Thanks, Ofer

Nils Rückmann

Oct 27, 2012, 11:04:10 AM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ofer, could you guide me a little ? Don't know about a wiki where we discuss new features.

Ofer Cohen

Oct 27, 2012, 12:20:44 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hey

Please open working group for this feature.
You can see examples as follow:
After you open page, please send it and we'll help with this.

Thanks, Ofer

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Nils Rückmann <syb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Ofer, could you guide me a little ? Don't know about a wiki where we discuss new features.

Nils Rückmann

Oct 27, 2012, 1:12:54 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Do i need advanced permissions ? I can't see any option to create a new page. (username:sybrek)

Mark Dexter

Oct 27, 2012, 1:26:34 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nils. Here is a link: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page

However, in this case, I think you just want to create a new section
in the existing article. Just make sure you are logged in and click
the Edit link in the upper right.

Mark

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Nils Rückmann <syb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Do i need advanced permissions ? I can't see any option to create a new
> page. (username:sybrek)
>
> --
> "Joomla! CMS Development" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-cms/-/Dg6U13rPTH8J.

Nils Rückmann

Oct 27, 2012, 3:38:11 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I only can see the page, see the source, watch the history or move thepage, but can't edit it or create a new one.

Ofer Cohen

Oct 27, 2012, 3:41:41 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

what is the page title that you try to create?

On 27 באוק 2012 21:38, "Nils Rückmann" <syb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
I only can see the page, see the source, watch the history or move thepage, but can't edit it or create a new one.

Nils Rückmann

Oct 27, 2012, 3:56:23 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Haven't thought about it. Perhaps we can take the chance and rebuild the installer so "Installer/Updater Working Group" could be a title.

elin

Oct 27, 2012, 6:39:38 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
What I usually do is search for the title I want and then click on the link, which gives you the editor  to create that page.

Elin

Ofer Cohen

Oct 27, 2012, 6:50:12 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Sound better cause more people will join.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-cms/-/TemhoTs_CGYJ.

Nils Rückmann

Oct 27, 2012, 7:46:43 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Sry Elin, but i don't understand ? Do you mean you're searching for an existing title or do you mean something like "invent" the title ? And which link ?

Nils Rückmann

Oct 27, 2012, 7:55:12 PM10/27/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, my mistake. i was logged in, but haven't activate the account through email.

Ofer Cohen

Nov 1, 2012, 7:42:22 AM11/1/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nils,