Happy Birthday JIIT Sun Club!

Angad Singh

Oct 31, 2008, 3:10:19 PM10/31/08
to JIIT Sun Club
Today, November 1st, is JIIT Sun Club's first anniversary and though we have been trying to schedule the pizza party on this day, to celebrate the sun club's birthday, netbeans birthday and JIIT OSUM membership all at once, we can't do it today because of permission problems. It will be held sometime next week. Stay tuned for that.

Wishing JIIT Sun Club a great happy birthday!

May we all keep learning and building opportunities through this venture.

PS: Read about the launch we had an year back here:
blogs.sun.com/angad/entry/jiit_sun_club_inauguration_code
--
Angad Singh
http://angadsingh.in

Varun Nischal

Nov 1, 2008, 12:55:54 AM11/1/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Angad Singh <an...@angadsingh.in> wrote:
Today, November 1st, is JIIT Sun Club's first anniversary and though we have been trying to schedule the pizza party on this day, to celebrate the sun club's birthday, netbeans birthday and JIIT OSUM membership all at once, we can't do it today because of permission problems. It will be held sometime next week. Stay tuned for that.

Wishing JIIT Sun Club a great happy birthday!

Happy Birthday JIIT Sun Club and best wishes to those who supported our initiatives by participating in events we conducted last season!

Surely, past 1 year has been phenomenal atleast for me! I have learnt a lot and still looking for more..

Best Regards,
--
Varun Nischal
NetBeans Community Docs Coordinator,

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."

Amit k. Saha

Nov 1, 2008, 2:35:48 AM11/1/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Angad Singh <an...@angadsingh.in> wrote:
> Today, November 1st, is JIIT Sun Club's first anniversary and though we have
> been trying to schedule the pizza party on this day, to celebrate the sun
> club's birthday, netbeans birthday and JIIT OSUM membership all at once, we
> can't do it today because of permission problems. It will be held sometime
> next week. Stay tuned for that.
>
> Wishing JIIT Sun Club a great happy birthday!
>
> May we all keep learning and building opportunities through this venture.

Get. Learn. Share.

Happy Birthday JIIT Sun Club! Sun technologies are great to talk
about, do and evangelize :-)

Best,
Amit
--
Amit Kumar Saha
http://blogs.sun.com/amitsaha/

Nalin Savara

Nov 1, 2008, 9:12:05 AM11/1/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
Happy Birthday Sun Club.

BTW, just a suggestion... why dont you guys have a weekend long hackathon ? that you get 50 or 100 hardcore programmers together under one roof; maybe with space to crash out... and people group themselves and spend 48 hours hacking... putting some cool code together ???

Just a idea.... what say people ?

Regards,

Nalin

Usama Ghufran

Nov 1, 2008, 11:02:45 AM11/1/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
sounds cool to me !

Angad Singh

Nov 1, 2008, 12:41:29 PM11/1/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion Nalin, that's a good idea. Folks, hackathons / code sprints are interesting events. Just like installfests, where people get together to install an open source distro, help each other out, ask questions, help troubleshoot specific problems anyone has and have fun, similarly, in hackathons coders come together and sit down for a long time coding. Analogously, you help each other on specific problems. You can have it as a contest or just for the heck of it. First an agenda is decided. Problems could involve adding new features to an open source software or just fixing some bugs / known problems or could be some completely new problem. Teams for hackathons are made in such way that it consists of right mix of members each with skills needed for the hackathon, such as the sum of the whole can win working together :)

First read : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackathon

This is similar to the "WorkOuts" being conducted in FOSS.in 2008. To get some more gyan on the topic you could have a read of:
http://foss.in/news/call-for-participation.html
http://foss.in/news/fossin2008-the-omelette-post.html

It goes through a proposal process (though we don't need to do that). Here is the first shortlist of workouts:
http://foss.in/news/first-shortlist.html

For folks wondering what is FOSS.in:
http://foss.in/faq

I am putting out a short survey, to gage interest of people in this "new" idea for JIIT folks. If you like to have one, let us know and we'll arrange for it. Here's the survey (you can call it a poll, since it just has one question.)

http://doodle.com/participation.html?pollId=sxrn2ggc4nyv8br2

Let's have some feedback! :)

Nalin Savara

Nov 2, 2008, 9:40:52 AM11/2/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
Hi Buddy Angad, JIIT-Sun-Club,

Thanks a ton for the vote of support-- but on one aspect I beg to differ (maybe it's a difference in personal philosophy!):-

>First an agenda is decided. Problems could involve adding new features

practically often; when you get a lot of enthusiastic people under one roof--- then automatically synergies evolve; and many times the "oh... so you are xxx; I also always wanted to xxx-- can I join in with you guys...".

I guess that's "management by walking around" rather than "management by objectives". And I daresay that many times that works even better...

Just a thought... would love to hear counter-thoughts...

Regards,

Nalin

"Management by Objectives is great when you know the objectives... 90% of the time; you dont." - Peter Drucker

Angad Singh

Nov 2, 2008, 11:27:53 AM11/2/08
to jiits...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Nalin Savara <nsn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>First an agenda is decided. Problems could involve adding new features

practically often; when you get a lot of enthusiastic people under one roof--- then automatically synergies evolve; and many times the "oh... so you are xxx; I also always wanted to xxx-- can I join in with you guys...".

Yea that's how all the barcamps work I guess.

I guess that's "management by walking around" rather than "management by objectives". And I daresay that many times that works even better...

I agree. But let's see things in the light of the fact that this if a first-time-thing for US :) ...so without focus and planning, the not-so-enthusiastic folks would turn to taking the event unseriously and the outcome would not be that fruitful. So I suggest we have it as a guided affair the first time for JIIT folks, and then eventually when we see that people can take things up themselves make it free. Its all upto you though how you wanna have it.

Ofcourse the "agenda" can be decided by the public itself and not be the organizers (let everyone be the organizers).

What do you think Nalin?