Having trouble building and testing - want to be maintainer for the ec2 plugin

Francis

Jan 25, 2012, 8:42:19 AM1/25/12
to Jenkins Developers
I'm interested in working on the ec2-plugin as I want to move my
development build and testing to ec2 using s3 and ebs and I need a
couple of enhancements to the ec2 plugin.

I would be willing to become the maintainer of the plugin, as there
appears to be no one taking care of it (I note a few pull requests
unattended for a couple of months). I am committer in the Eclipse
Platform UI area so I have considerable open source experience.

So to get started, I took the main ec2 pull request (https://
github.com/jenkinsci/ec2-plugin/pull/12) and am trying to build it and
test it (it appears that 2 of the ec2-plugin tests are failing). In
the course of doing that, it seems I should build and test the main
Jenkins, which I have been trying to do. I pulled from the source a
few minutes ago and cleanly did a mvn install.

However, when i try to run it, it's failing: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nJrNanNF.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I have tried to follow the
instructions on the various wiki pages and can't see what I'm doing
wrong.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? And also if you are
inclined, tell me what I need to do to get commit rights to the ec2-
plugin. I'm happy to devote some time to give it some love.

Thanks!

Francis

Frank Bille

Jan 25, 2012, 10:11:21 AM1/25/12
to Jenkins Developers
On Jan 25, 2:42 pm, Francis <franc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, when i try to run it, it's failing:http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nJrNanNF.

I'm new to Jenkins as well, so I don't know if I'm doing things the
right way. I have just been running this command when I wanted to test/
package the plugin:

mvn clean package

It tests and package and it works just fine (both in master branch and
in my branch). I can see that you run maven with different goals and
parameters. Is there a reason for it?

I am running the plugin on my (small) jenkins installation here:
http://ci.teachus.dk and it works.

Kind regards,
Frank

Francis

Jan 25, 2012, 2:13:54 PM1/25/12
to Jenkins Developers

> mvn clean package
Thanks, this does indeed work fine, so the junits are OK.

So testing the plugin with a standard Jenkins installation works fine.
But I really want to use a debug Jenkins installation so that I can
use an .hpl file and have it automatically pick up my changes.

This is the thing I'm having trouble getting started.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work?

Francis

Jan 25, 2012, 3:28:17 PM1/25/12
to Jenkins Developers
Problem solved, I just needed to run from the "web" directory instead
of the top-level directory in the jenkins source. And I used this
command:

mvn hudson-dev:run -Dport=9091