Mutual help

mikeo

Mar 19, 2004, 3:23:36 PM3/19/04
I'm Mike and I live in Raleigh, North Carolina.

I'm in the process of learning Italian and I'm looking for an Italian
interested to learn English. My suggestion is for the following
system:

- I write to you a message in Italian
- Your respond in English, but in the second part of the message, you
correct my Italian and show me the mistakes and the correct way to
write it.
- I respond in Italian, but in the same way, correct your English by
pointing to the mistakes and help you write correectly
- We continue in this style as long as we are interested.

The conversation may extend to any subject of common interest.

If interested, you may respond here or send me a message to
mike...@relativity.com.

If anybody has a similar or better system, I would be interested to
find out.

Mike

Sebapop

Mar 19, 2004, 4:15:56 PM3/19/04
On 19 Mar 2004 12:23:36 -0800, (mikeo) wrote:

>I'm Mike and I live in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Hi, I'm Sebastiano and I live near Verona, Italy.

>If interested, you may respond here or send me a message to
>mike...@relativity.com.

I am really interested. I've sent you an e-mail, but I've got an
automatic antispam answer. My e-mail has been rejected.

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail
server:
mike...@relativity.com; Failed; 5.5.0 (other or undefined protocol
status)

Remote MTA relay.relativity.com: SMTP diagnostic: 554 Service
unavailable; [193.70.192.33] blocked using
bl.spamcop.net, reason: Blocked - see
http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?193.70.192.33

I'll work that out, I hope.

Sebastiano

--
No wonder people say "gesundheit" when you say "Tchaikovsky".

Enrico C

Mar 19, 2004, 5:09:07 PM3/19/04
Sebapop | it.cultura.linguistica.inglese
in <news:7com509k3s4n2dpav...@4ax.com>

Tu posti da Libero e la posta di Libero in questi giorni è bloccata da
Spamcop, una blacklist antispam.

Possibili soluzioni: 1 Mike ti mette in whitelist 2 tu gli scrivi da
un altro indirizzo :)

--

http://wiki.news.nic.it/DizionariItCulturaLinguisticaInglese

GFCARRERA

Mar 19, 2004, 7:58:36 PM3/19/04
>From: mike...@relativity.com (mikeo)

> I'm looking for an Italian
>interested to learn English.

Is English your native language?

bye
ari

Peltio

Mar 19, 2004, 9:30:38 PM3/19/04
"mikeo" ha scritto

>I'm Mike and I live in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Hi Mike,
Nice to read you.
I hope you'll enjoy the group.

>- I write to you a message in Italian
>- Your respond in English, but in the second part of the message, you
>correct my Italian and show me the mistakes and the correct way to
>write it.
>- I respond in Italian, but in the same way, correct your English by
>pointing to the mistakes and help you write correectly
>- We continue in this style as long as we are interested.

Sounds like the application of some fixed point theorem : )
Does it converge to a finite value?
Just kidding. : ]

>The conversation may extend to any subject of common interest.

You did not specify what interests you. : )

>If interested, you may respond here or send me a message to
>mike...@relativity.com.

Well feel free to send me a mail from time to time. I could manage one every
15 days, if they're not very long. But I want to advise you: my Italian
grammar is hardwired: I can tell you what is (or just sounds) wrong in your
Italian and how to fix it, but I could hardly identify what rules you broke
or what are those you should have applied.

>If anybody has a similar or better system, I would be interested to
>find out.

You might try to follow this group. You can solve problems related to the
English language and ask that your Italian be corrected by means of a proper
tagline.

cheers,
Peltio
--
Please feel free to correct every error in my English.

mikeo

Mar 20, 2004, 9:42:30 AM3/20/04
Grazie a tutti!

Cerchero rispondere a tutti messagi.

Sebastiano, e una sorpresa per me che nostro server non accetta alcuni
messagi. Magari la motivo e che vostro messagi contiene alcune
"attachment" o caratteri non-inglese. Puoi usare un altra adressa:
mi...@timestripe.com. Ti prego, cerca.

Ari, mia lingua originale e romeno, ma io ho abitato in State Uniti
per 25 ani, e adesso io parlo e scrivo inglese piu bene che romeno.

Peltio, la sistema che ho propporato e veramente una teorema de puncto
fisso (?). Imagina una funzione CORRECT:

CORRECT(mio tesso) = correcto tesso

Alora, il puncto fisso e quando CORRECT(x) = x.

Ai scritto:

"You might try to follow this group. You can solve problems related to
the
English language and ask that your Italian be corrected by means of a
proper
tagline."

I'll be very happy to do this. By the way, how do you say "I'll be
happy to" in Italian?

Ai scritto:

"You did not specify what interests you."

Politics, culture, language, religion. By the way, I'm one of those
Americans 100% opposed to the war in Iraq, unlike your prime minister.
I also opposed the Kosovo war and I organized a demonstration against
it in my town, in 1999.

As to your English, I think it's excellent.

I only have a problem with an expression you have used: "Nice to read
you." I know we often use some special abbreviated language here, but
"to read somebody" is unusual and it has more the meaning "to
understand somebody's thinking or soul or feelings". You could have
said, "Nice to read your message" or "Nice to see your interest in
this."

By the way, I nevel liked the fact that in English, when you include a
quote in a phrase, you must use the dot (.) to close the phrase before
you use the quotation character ("). It is mathematically incorrect.
Che regola avete in italiano? Would you write

Io dico "Sono bene."

or

Io dico "Sono bene".

I'll end by saying that this is an excellent group and I hope to be an
active participant.

Mike

GFCARRERA

Mar 20, 2004, 10:39:14 AM3/20/04
>From: mike...@relativity.com (mikeo)

> in State Uniti
>per 25 ani,

NEGLI Stati Uniti (use the article) DA (non per)

"piu' bene" is comparable to the English "more well" instead of "better". The
translation for "better" is "meglio".

Your Italian is VERY good. Complimenti!

bye
Ari

GFCARRERA

Mar 20, 2004, 10:51:20 AM3/20/04
>From: mike...@relativity.com (mikeo)

>By the way, I nevel liked the fact that in English, when you include a
>quote in a phrase, you must use the dot (.) to close the phrase before
>you use the quotation character (").

Beh, non conosco la regola in italiano, ma la logica nella regola inglese sta
probabilmente nel fatto che al termine di ogni frase ci dovrebbe essere un
punto (che in inglese si chiama "period"). Quindi dire per esempio "I don't
like it" non e' corretto perche' la frase e' senza punto alla fine. Mettere il
punto dopo le virgolette non equivale a mettere il punto alla fine della frase.
Per dirti la verita', la mia punteggiatura rasenta l'atroce sia in italiano
che in inglese, quindi non fare affidamento su quello che ti dico io.

>It is mathematically incorrect.

It may be, but languages are not math. If they were, it would be a lot easier
to learn one!

By the way, I apologize for posting my previous message with the Italian
corrections. I meant it to send it to you by email. Lapsus muris!

bye
ari

FB

Mar 20, 2004, 1:18:11 PM3/20/04
On 20 Mar 2004 06:42:30 -0800, mikeo wrote:

> By the way, I nevel liked the fact that in English, when you include a
> quote in a phrase, you must use the dot (.) to close the phrase before
> you use the quotation character ("). It is mathematically incorrect.

I think it commoner in British English to write the full stop within the
quotation marks only if the whole sentence is within them.

"I'm well."

I said: "I'm well".

I don't happen to agree with either rule (I never use the full stop within
the quotation marks), but the British seems more acceptable to me.

Bye, FB

Max M.

Mar 20, 2004, 1:49:06 PM3/20/04
mikeo wrote:

> Sebastiano, e una sorpresa per me che nostro server non accetta alcuni
> messagi. Magari la motivo e che vostro messagi contiene alcune
> "attachment" o caratteri non-inglese.

No. You should follow the link shown in the server response that Sebapop
posted yesterday, if you're interest in why such an unfortunate thing
occured.

> Ari, mia lingua originale e romeno, ma io ho abitato in State Uniti
> per 25 ani, e adesso io parlo e scrivo inglese piu bene che romeno.

I took a short trip to Romania last year. What most struck me about
Romanians learning Italian was their excellent pronunciation, often nearly
undistinguishable from that of a native speaker.

> English language and ask that your Italian be corrected by means of a
> proper tagline."
>
> I'll be very happy to do this. By the way, how do you say "I'll be
> happy to" in Italian?

In this particular case, you might say "lo farò volentieri".

> Ai scritto:
>
> "You did not specify what interests you."
>
> Politics, culture, language, religion. By the way, I'm one of those
> Americans 100% opposed to the war in Iraq, unlike your prime minister.

Well, hardly could our prime minister be one of those Americans, anyway. :)

> Io dico "Sono bene."
>
> or
>
> Io dico "Sono bene".

I too prefer the latter, presumably for the same reasons why you find the
former weird.

By the way, "sono bene" doesn't mean anything in Italian, unless you write
it as "sono Bene" and your first name is Carmelo. :)

> I'll end by saying that this is an excellent group and I hope to be an
> active participant.

Welcome aboard.

Max

FB

Mar 20, 2004, 2:02:39 PM3/20/04
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:49:06 +0100, Max M. wrote:

> Well, hardly could our prime minister be one of those Americans, anyway. :)

I agree, and, by the way, his pronunciation of English is appalling!

> unless you write
> it as "sono Bene" and your first name is Carmelo. :)

I'm not sure if Mike will understand this. Carmelo Bene was a famous
Italian actor.

Bye, FB

mikeo

Mar 20, 2004, 2:23:54 PM3/20/04
Ari,

> >It is mathematically incorrect.

> It may be, but languages are not math. If they were, it would be a lot
easier
> to learn one!

D'accordo! Avete dopio negazione in italiano?

> By the way, I apologize for posting my previous message with the Italian
> corrections. I meant it to send it to you by email. Lapsus muris!

> bye
> ari

Non c'é problema. Credo che un segreto de imparare una lingua straniere e
accettare che é possibile facere errori. La perfezionista ha paura
cercare. Le tue correzioni sono benvenuti.

Come se dice 'by the way' in italiano, per favore?

Mike

Questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito
http://www.bismark.it/Newsgroup segnala gli abusi ad st...@bismark.it

Mike

Mar 20, 2004, 2:35:49 PM3/20/04
Max M. wrote:

> > Ari, mia lingua originale e romeno, ma io ho abitato in State Uniti
> > per 25 ani, e adesso io parlo e scrivo inglese piu bene che romeno.

> I took a short trip to Romania last year. What most struck me about
> Romanians learning Italian was their excellent pronunciation, often nearly
> undistinguishable from that of a native speaker.

Strange enough, this is not always an advantage. When I traveled to Italy
and I addressed a question to somebody on the street, the person took me
as an Italian, because of my good pronunciation. He started to speak very
fast, so I had to add, 'Scuzi, non parlo bene l'italiano'. Some bad accent
makes the people around you to be more compassionate and understanding!

Mike

Mar 20, 2004, 3:01:30 PM3/20/04

> > Sebastiano, e una sorpresa per me che nostro server non accetta alcuni
> > messagi. Magari la motivo e che vostro messagi contiene alcune
> > "attachment" o caratteri non-inglese.

> No. You should follow the link shown in the server response that Sebapop
> posted yesterday, if you're interest in why such an unfortunate thing
> occured.

Looks like the Internet server 193.70.192.33 used by some of you is
blacklisted at bl.spamcop.net. This means that not only my mail server,
but any other mail server which subscribes to bl.spamcop.net will filter
out messages received from you.

Of course, it is not your fault. Somebody (not you) must have used
193.70.192.33 to send lots of spam, resulting in the inclusion of this IP
adress in the blacklist.

If anybody wants to contact me personally, mi...@timestripe.com is another
address I'm using.

Mike

GFCARRERA

Mar 20, 2004, 3:49:26 PM3/20/04
>Subject: Re: Mutual help
>From: mike...@relativity.com (mikeo)

>D'accordo! Avete dopio negazione in italiano?

Eh...come no! Infatti sono obbligatorie in certi casi. Esempio: Non capisco
niente!
But if you start the sentnece with a negative word other than "non" then you
can leave the "non" out.
Ex: non me lo avevi mai detto
or mai me lo avevi detto (actually not really the way people speak, but it's
correct)

by the way = a proposito

ciao
ari

FB

Mar 20, 2004, 4:14:57 PM3/20/04
On 20 Mar 2004 20:49:26 GMT, GFCARRERA wrote:

> by the way = a proposito

Anche "tra l'altro", "peraltro".

Ciao, FB

Giovanni Bajo

Mar 20, 2004, 7:26:54 PM3/20/04
Enrico C wrote:

> Tu posti da Libero e la posta di Libero in questi giorni è bloccata da
> Spamcop, una blacklist antispam.

Dimentichi il punto importante: chi configura un mail server in modo da usare
Spamcop per bloccare la posta ha problemi mentali, visto che se un singolo
utente di Libero (così come qualunque altro provider free) manda un singolo
messaggio di spam che viene riportato, qualcosa tipo 15 milioni di utenti di
Libero vengono bloccati il giorno stesso attraverso quel nodo, senza
possibilità di appello e nessun altra soluzione se non aspettare 15 giorni.

Spamcop non è una ORBL o simile, e dovrebbe essere usato solamente in
congiunzione ad altri filtri. Questo tipo di ignoranza è rivoltante.
--
Giovanni Bajo

Enrico C

Mar 20, 2004, 8:10:51 PM3/20/04
Giovanni Bajo | it.cultura.linguistica.inglese
in <news:ij57c.83934$FJ6.3...@twister1.libero.it>

> Enrico C wrote:
>
>> Tu posti da Libero e la posta di Libero in questi giorni è bloccata da
>> Spamcop, una blacklist antispam.
>
> Dimentichi il punto importante: chi configura un mail server in modo da usare
> Spamcop per bloccare la posta ha problemi mentali,

Sì, anche a me pare una scelta strana usare bl.spamcop.net su un
mailserver.
Si bloccano molti spammer ma si rischiano anche parecchi falsi
positivi, cioè si rischia di bloccare anche posta "buona" come il
messaggio di Seba! :)

> visto che se un singolo
> utente di Libero (così come qualunque altro provider free) manda un singolo
> messaggio di spam che viene riportato, qualcosa tipo 15 milioni di utenti di
> Libero vengono bloccati il giorno stesso attraverso quel nodo, senza
> possibilità di appello e nessun altra soluzione se non aspettare 15 giorni.

Secondo http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/290.html non è
esattamente così, non basta un solo spam, e il delisting in assenza di
spam avviene dopo un max di 48 ore.
Dettagli a parte, comunque, condivido il tuo giudizio di cui sopra :)

--

http://wiki.news.nic.it/DizionariItCulturaLinguisticaInglese

Enrico C

Mar 21, 2004, 3:53:33 PM3/21/04
Enrico C | it.cultura.linguistica.inglese
in <news:qajq8hui...@news.lillathedog.net>

>> Dimentichi il punto importante: chi configura un mail server in modo da usare
>> Spamcop per bloccare la posta ha problemi mentali,
>

> Sě, anche a me pare una scelta strana usare bl.spamcop.net su un
> mailserver.

Tra l'altro, [bl.spamcop.net] stessa avverte che:

| This blocking list is somewhat experimental. This system and most
| other spam-filtering systems should not be used in a production
| environment where legitimate email must be delivered. Many
| end-users and administrators have decided that risking the loss of
| legitimate email is worth the benefit of blocking most spam. As a
| result, this list is now used widely and it's reputation for
| blocking spam while reducing the risk of erronious blocking is
| growing.
|
| However, it should be noted that SpamCop is aggressive and often
| errs on the side of blocking mail - users should be warned and
| given information about how their mail is filtered. Ideally they
| should have a choice of filtering options. Many mailservers can
| operate with blacklists in a "tag only" mode, which is preferable
| in many situations.
|
| The description of the algorithm used for deciding whether to block
| a host may be out of date, and is subject to change without notice.
|

| There is no warranty associated with using this system. It is
| provided as is.
http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

--

http://wiki.news.nic.it/DizionariItCulturaLinguisticaInglese

Giovanni Bajo

Mar 24, 2004, 10:42:44 AM3/24/04
Enrico C wrote:

>>> Dimentichi il punto importante: chi configura un mail server in
>>> modo da usare Spamcop per bloccare la posta ha problemi mentali,
>>

>> Sì, anche a me pare una scelta strana usare bl.spamcop.net su un

>> mailserver.
>
> Tra l'altro, [bl.spamcop.net] stessa avverte che:

> [...]

Infatti, come già detto, io non ce l'ho con spamcop: