Can QuickTime be scripted in Mobile Safari?

Sam Dutton

Dec 4, 2008, 2:20:46 AM12/4/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I'd like to be able to use functions like setTime() and setStartTime
to control a QuickTime movie in Mobile Safari.

This works fine on the desktop, but not on the iPhone.

I take it from the reference documentation that this is not possible
in a native application either:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/MediaPlayer/Reference/MPMoviePlayerController_Class/MPMoviePlayerController/MPMoviePlayerController.html

Is anything more than play() and stop() available for movies on the
iPhone?

brente

Dec 4, 2008, 9:11:22 AM12/4/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I don't think it's possible and have never seen it done. Since you
can't embed the movie and control it in the page itself, I don't think
they will enable that kinda thing until they allow true embeds. Right
now they just feed it over to their media player app. I can only
assume this is due to their wanting to be able to control the movie
controls (buttons) and quality of video overall.

If they allowed you to embed a little .MOV file in a page, how would
you play/pause etc? Those little mouse-pointer QT controls wouldn't
work with your finger very well. Maybe they could have some kinda
semi-transparent overlay controls popup when you interacted with the
embedded video. It seems like their current implementation is about
usability for the end user.

That said, if you do some tests and figure anything out, post it here
- I'd love to see what's possible on the cutting edge of Mobile
Safari.

cheers, brente

On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sam Dutton <sam.dut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to use functions like setTime() and setStartTime
> to control a QuickTime movie in Mobile Safari.
>
> This works fine on the desktop, but not on the iPhone.
>
> I take it from the reference documentation that this is not possible
> in a native application either:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/MediaPlayer/R...

Antoine Quint

Dec 4, 2008, 8:55:43 AM12/4/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Here is what I believe to be an exhaustive list of media-related
scripting features available in Safari on iPhone:

DOM Events:
qt_begin
qt_loadedmetadata
*qt_enterfullscreen
*qt_exitfullscreen
qt_canplay
qt_error
qt_play
qt_pause
qt_ended
qt_timechanged
qt_volumechange

JavaScript methods:
Play
Stop
GetRate
SetRate
SetURL
GetURL
*IsFullScreen
*EnterFullScreen
*ExitFullScreen

Asterisks are for features that are iPhone-specific. Alas, it does not
look like SetTime and SetStartTime are available on the phone. You
should file an enhancement request to Apple to let the responsible
teams now.

Antoine