Prototyping: Giving Customers access to user's media resources by link sharing.

Claes

Jan 24, 2011, 5:50:32 AM1/24/11
to introducer
Hi,

I have been experimenting with "the opposite" to the Bookmark
Introducer, that is, sending a link to a user selected media resource
from the Provider to the Customer. So my simple prototype is a
Customer that requests an image. I have two Providers, a remote image
gallery (currently completely public to make it simple) and a local
camera provider that works for Android phones. As there currently is
no API in Android for web applications to access the Camera a local
server that acts as a bridge to the native Android camera API needs to
be installed. A link to this server is included in the Camera Provider
registrant page.

This prototype shows:

* How the Web Introducer works for user selection of media resources
and link sharing.
* How local device resources could be accessed through a local server.

So, this simple prototype illustrates how a Customer requests a media
resource of a certain type (that could be hosted "anywhere") and the
user selects the resource to provide by selecting a remote resource or
a local resource that is dynamically created.

My Customer page is here: http://semccustomer.appspot.com/

There is currently one error. You have to press the button "Select
Image Provider and select image" twice. Don't know if this depends on
something stupid in my Customer page or if it relates to the Web
Introducer API.

So, what do you think?

Best regards
Claes

Claes

Feb 10, 2011, 5:22:32 AM2/10/11
to introducer
Hi again,

It seems as the introduce method requires a click event to open the
provider selection menu. Is this intentional? This gives the effect
that the user first has to click something that invokes a script that
calls “introduce”. Then the user has to click again to open the
provider selection menu.

In my simple prototype, http://semccustomer.appspot.com/, I changed
the event for the button “Select Image Provider and display image”
from “onclick” to “onmouseover” giving the effect that the script that
invokes the introduce method is called when the user just places he
cursor over the button. Then the provider selection menu pops up when
the user clicks the button. This looks better for the user but it is
still a “fix” and does not work well in a mobile device due to the
delay from the call to the introduce method until the user is able to
click on the button.

So, why does the provider selection menu not pop up directly when the
introduce method is called?

Regards
Claes

Tyler Close

Feb 10, 2011, 12:07:21 PM2/10/11
to intro...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Claes <cgvni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> It seems as the introduce method requires a click event to open the
> provider selection menu. Is this intentional? This gives the effect
> that the user first has to click something that invokes a script that
> calls “introduce”. Then the user has to click again to open the
> provider selection menu.

This is a known problem with the pure HTML+JS implementation of the
Introducer. AFAICT, there's no way to automatically cause the drop
down menu to display.

The Introducer spec requires that the Provider selection menu be
displayed immediately upon invoking introduce(). The native
implementation of the Introducer will be faithful to this constraint.

> In my simple prototype, http://semccustomer.appspot.com/, I changed
> the event for the button “Select Image Provider and display image”
> from “onclick” to “onmouseover” giving the effect that the script that
> invokes the introduce method is called when the user just places he
> cursor over the button. Then the provider selection menu pops up when
> the user clicks the button. This looks better for the user but it is
> still a “fix” and does not work well in a mobile device due to the
> delay from the call to the introduce method until the user is able to
> click on the button.

The introducer.js script also uses this trick. See:

http://code.google.com/p/webintroducer/source/browse/html5-implementation/introducer.js#829

> So, why does the provider selection menu not pop up directly when the
> introduce method is called?

There's no API for making a <select> widget display its drop-down
menu. Using a <select> widget is the only way to avoid clickjacking in
current web browsers.

--Tyler

Claes

Feb 11, 2011, 7:28:35 AM2/11/11
to introducer
Thanks for your explanation Tyler. I see the problem with the current
HTML+JS implementation of the Introducer but it still works for demo
and experimentation. However, for "real use" with a good level of user
experience we need native implementations of the Introducer. Is there
anything you can share on efforts/prototyping on this for Chrome?

Regards
Claes

On Feb 10, 6:07 pm, Tyler Close <tyler.cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Claes <cgvnils...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi again,
>
> > It seems as the introduce method requires a click event to open the
> > provider selection menu. Is this intentional? This gives the effect
> > that the user first has to click something that invokes a script that
> > calls “introduce”. Then the user has to click again to open the
> > provider selection menu.
>
> This is a known problem with the pure HTML+JS implementation of the
> Introducer. AFAICT, there's no way to automatically cause the drop
> down menu to display.
>
> The Introducer spec requires that the Provider selection menu be
> displayed immediately upon invoking introduce(). The native
> implementation of the Introducer will be faithful to this constraint.
>
> > In my simple prototype,http://semccustomer.appspot.com/, I changed
> > the event for the button “Select Image Provider and display image”
> > from “onclick” to “onmouseover” giving the effect that the script that
> > invokes the introduce method is called when the user just places he
> > cursor over the button. Then the provider selection menu pops up when
> > the user clicks the button. This looks better for the user but it is
> > still a “fix” and does not work well in a mobile device due to the
> > delay from the call to the introduce method until the user is able to
> > click on the button.
>
> The introducer.js script also uses this trick. See:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/webintroducer/source/browse/html5-implementa...

Tyler Close

Feb 11, 2011, 4:11:29 PM2/11/11
to intro...@googlegroups.com
Getting a Chrome native implementation of the Introducer done is high
on my priority list (it's one of my official objectives for this
quarter at work), but it's not done yet. Maybe Mike will beat me and
be first with a native implementation for Firefox. ;)

--Tyler