cpu type/remarked???

J Cruz

Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97

I have a pentium 200mhz mmx with these markings under the chip:

FV80503200
Q019 ES/2.8V
A4
C6180906-5104

CPUID Reports that it is a mmx based chip:
Family : 5
Model : 4
Stepping : 3

I know that the Q number indicates that this is
an engineering sample processor, and I know that
the processor was not designed for public use or sale.
Can someone tell me what is if any the difference between these
Q based engineering chips and the real stuff? Are there any
differences between the both? And do I have
a fake 200mhz mmx?

Thanks

Chris Hare

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

The Q019 has a 5 4 4 stepping, and it's a 166MHz chip. Yours is
remarked. Sorry.

- Chris

Joe Goldmeer

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97
to ch...@erols.com

Hi,

Chris is right. (Thanks, Chris!)

I recommend that you take this remarked, engineering sample processor
back to the vendor that sold it to you.

Joe Goldmeer
Intel Internet Support

Chris Hare wrote:

* All other brands and names are property of their respective owner.

J Cruz

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

Is there anyway that I can tell what type of chip/speed this is? Since it
does not match the intel spec for Q019?
Thanks

Chris Hare

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

J Cruz wrote:

> Is there anyway that I can tell what type of chip/speed this is? Since it
> does not match the intel spec for Q019?
> Thanks

[snipped lots of stuff]

> :>J Cruz wrote:
> :>>
> :>> I have a pentium 200mhz mmx with these markings under the chip:
> :>>
> :>> FV80503200
> :>> Q019 ES/2.8V
> :>> A4
> :>> C6180906-5104
> :>>
> :>> CPUID Reports that it is a mmx based chip:
> :>> Family : 5
> :>> Model : 4
> :>> Stepping : 3
> :>

> :>The Q019 has a 5 4 4 stepping, and it's a 166MHz chip. Yours is
> :>remarked. Sorry.

Well, since they bothered to remark it to 200MHz, it would make sense if
it were originally a 166MHz chip (but nobody said they were very bright
;) ).

It has a 5 4 3 stepping, so it's a Pentium MMX chip.

I'll take a guess and say since they remarked it as an Engineering
Sample, that it probably was just that before it was altered
(unfortunately, this is a big assumption).

I'm assuming they didn't remark a mobile chip with its lower voltage
requirements as needing a higher voltage than it does. I *hope* they
didn't do this!

That leaves as possibilities:
Q125, Q124, and Q140 in the Plastic Pin Grid Array (PPGA) variety and
Q126 in the Ceramic PGA variety.

The Q125 and Q126 are the only 166MHz chips that fit all of my
assumptions. So the question remains: do you have a gray ceramic chip or
a black PPGA with its metal heat slug and visible pin tops on top of the
chip?

BTW, I used the chart listed on Sandpile.org to narrow the
possibilities:
http://www.sandpile.org/80x86/steps_p5.shtml#table_p55

As far as I'm aware, Intel does not publish online (in HTML format) the
sSpec data on Engineering Samples even though it is listed in their spec
update PDF file:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium/specupdt/

Also, if it wasn't originally an Engineering Sample, well, your guess is
as good as mine. In any case, you might want to turn it down to 166MHz
(what it originally was) to avoid the problems that can arise from
overclocking. Just read a post today on another NG about a guy who
flayed a hard drive partition when Win95 locked cold. It may have just
been Win95, but he said had been having intermittent lock-ups with his
overclocked 166 before the tragedy.

Good luck.
- Chris

J Cruz

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Thanks for your replies, Chris
Ok, The chip is a black PPGA with its metal heat slug and visible
pin tops on top of the chip. Would you know where I can find a program
that would tell me the manufacturing stepping? I think, if I knew the
manufacturing stepping, I would be alble to narrow down the possibilities.
Also I have been running this chip at 200mhz since last thursday (11/13/97)
when I got it. I've been running it day and night and so far no lockups or
erratic behavior. Well the place I purchased this from ASTAK, INC. based
in Cal. gave me a hard time when I called them last friday. They stated that
the chip was indeed a true 200mhz mmx and that it was not an engineering sample.
They also wanted to know where I got the information. Bottom line they did not
believe it. They also claimed that I paid for an oem part which is fine with me.
I know that there are others that have purchased chips from these people and
not have gotten what they paid for.

Thanks for your help...

Chris Hare

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

[Note: This is what's being discussed]

J Cruz wrote:

> Thanks for your replies, Chris
> Ok, The chip is a black PPGA with its metal heat slug and visible
> pin tops on top of the chip. Would you know where I can find a program
> that would tell me the manufacturing stepping? I think, if I knew the
> manufacturing stepping, I would be alble to narrow down the possibilities.

I don't know that CPUIDF gives the manuf. stepping. And I can't think of
a program that does. But you have a desktop processor with a 5 4 3
stepping, so it could only be xB1.

> Also I have been running this chip at 200mhz since last thursday (11/13/97)
> when I got it. I've been running it day and night and so far no lockups or
> erratic behavior. Well the place I purchased this from ASTAK, INC. based
> in Cal. gave me a hard time when I called them last friday. They stated that
> the chip was indeed a true 200mhz mmx and that it was not an engineering sample.

Well, any idiot can see it's marked as an Engineering Sample. The sSpec
begins with a 'Q', and it has the letters 'ES'. But I honestly doubt
that they're that dumb.

> They also wanted to know where I got the information. Bottom line they did not
> believe it.

Print out a copy of the results from Intel's CPUID program:
http://developer.intel.com/design/perftool/cpuid/utility.htm

And take a copy of the program on floppy disk down to them.

Unfortunately, because Intel doesn't publish info on their Engineering
Samples in HTML format, you might want to also print out page 22 of the
Pentium Spec Update:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium/specupdt/242480.htm

It has Q019 listed there. But you'll need the Adobe Acrobat reader:
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

The Q019 has a stepping of 5 4 4, while your chip has 5 4 3. And it's
clearly a 166MHz processor, not 200MHz.

> They also claimed that I paid for an oem part which is fine with me.
> I know that there are others that have purchased chips from these people and
> not have gotten what they paid for.
>
> Thanks for your help...

What warranty did you get with this chip? I would settle for nothing
less than one year. In fact, that's one of the best ways to avoid
getting a remark (aside from buying a Boxed Pentium). But of course,
neither method is 100% fool-proof.

Good luck.
- Chris

BTW, just to clarify, I don't work for Intel.

J Cruz

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

How long will it take for this particular cpu chip to burn out running
it at 200mhz instead of 166mhz? Also will there be a difference in
performance at 166mhz?

Thanks

Joe Goldmeer

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97
to cru...@pfizer.com

Hi,

No. I cannot tell you what the part is at this point.

Joe Goldmeer
Intel Internet Support

J Cruz wrote:

:>Is there anyway that I can tell what type of chip/speed this is? Since
:>it
:>does not match the intel spec for Q019?
:> Thanks

Chris Hare

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

J Cruz wrote:

> How long will it take for this particular cpu chip to burn out running
> it at 200mhz instead of 166mhz?

I wish I knew. And I don't think even Intel could tell you this for
sure. There is always variance in any manufactured product. Two chips
that come off the same assembly line at almost exactly the same time can
have widely different performance and reliability characteristics.

> Also will there be a difference in
> performance at 166mhz?

Between 166 and 200MHz, the performance difference depends on what
you're doing. If you're playing Quake or doing a Linux re-compile or
some CAD work, you'll probably be able to see a *slight* performance
increase. Running Windows95 with your favorite spreadsheet or browser,
you might have a tough time telling a 486 from a Pentium (ok, so maybe
that's a bit of an exaggeration :).

Personally, I think overclocking is a hobbyist venture only. And then
only if you're prepared to lose the processor entirely. A chip's
lifespan is *always* reduced when you overclock.

Here's some good info on overclocking:
http://www.pcguide.com/opt/oc/index.htm

I generally share Charles' views on overclocking. Especially concerning
the chip's warranty. It's really depressing to see someone who just
bought a Boxed Pentium and is now in the process of destroying the 3
year warranty just so they can increase their benchmarks scores by 8%.
But in your case, I doubt much of a warranty exists.

> Thanks

BTW, are you thinking of keeping the remarked chip? Are they not
allowing you to return it?

- Chris

Ken Catto

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

And after you talk to the better business bureau talk to you local District
attorney or city attorney, this may be an obvious case of fraud, plain and
simple.

k...@selmicro.com

Chris Hare wrote in message <347484...@erols.com>...
>J Cruz wrote:
>>
>> Well, right now I'm not sure what to do. They gave me the run-around.
>> It looks like they won't refund the money entirely. The last time I
>> spoke to them they told me that they would give me credit for the chip
which
>> is something I don't want to do. They also told me that they could not
>> guarantee and replacing the chip with a real one.
>
>There is no reason why they should not refund your money. It's clearly a
>fake. I'm getting the impression this was by mail order. Did you happen
>to pay by credit card? If it was local, you can contact the Better
>Business Bureau (assuming you live in the US).
>
>> So at this point I am not sure. If I do keep it I will be lowering
>> the speed to 166mhz until next year 1998 where I will get a boxed
>> version.
>
>I assume not from them. :)
>
>> Thanks
>
>Good luck.