Pink Allamanda

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 9, 2010, 3:53:25 PM9/9/10
to efloraofindia

Hi

sharing few snaps of the pink variety of Allamanda cathartica ....taken in my locality last Sunday.

These showy flowers really add beauty to the garden and house.

regards

Shantanu : )

Shantanu Bhattacharya.

B.Sc (Zoology).M.Sc (University of Calcutta)

Teaching Faculty.

Dept. of Biology.

Vivekananda Mission School (ICSE).

Joka. Kolkata.

alamanda.jpg

tanay bose

Sep 9, 2010, 4:08:31 PM9/9/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing your experiences with garden plants
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2010, 4:39:13 PM9/9/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
I thought this one should be A. blanchetii (syn: A. violacea).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 10, 2010, 2:06:58 AM10/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman
... this post seems to have got split into two threads.

Copy-pasting my comment into this post:

... though the colours of the flower are close to that of A. blanchetii (syn: A. violacea), the size of flower looks smaller in comparison ... the size of flower seems to match A. cathartica. Thus, cannot overrule some cultivar of A. cathartica ... 'Cherries Jubilee' is a popular cultivar ... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65560/

Please wait for comment(s).

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Nov 1, 2010, 4:03:53 AM11/1/10
to efloraofindia, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Tabish, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I thought this one should be A. blanchetii (syn: A. violacea).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“... though the colours of the flower are close to that of A. blanchetii (syn: A. violacea), the size of flower looks smaller in comparison ... the size of flower seems to match A. cathartica. Thus, cannot overrule some cultivar of A. cathartica ... 'Cherries Jubilee' is a popular cultivar ... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65560/

Please wait for comment(s).” from Dinesh ji.

Nov 16, 2010, 1:30:27 PM11/16/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Tabish, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi
Dinesh ji
Looking at Daves Garden link I could not find any information which would consider 'Cherries Jubilee' as cultivar of A. cathartica. The leaves of A. cathartica are generally narrower, whereas ther are distinctly broader in A. blanchetii. Both in above photograph and cultivar Cherries Jubilee, the leaves resemble A. blanchetii.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

C KUNHIKANNAN

Nov 17, 2010, 12:41:13 PM11/17/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Tabish, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi
It seems to be A. blanchetii
kunhikannan

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,

Dinesh Valke

Nov 17, 2010, 1:14:09 PM11/17/10
to C KUNHIKANNAN, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Tabish, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, promila chaturvedi
Gurcharan ji ... some mistaking from my end ... had noted the link of Dave's Garden in my notes about 3 years back ...  cannot claim they revised contents of their page.

Here are some other links from a fresh search for Allamanda cathartica 'Cherries Jubilee'

University of Florida ... http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/shrub_fact_sheets/allcatb.pdf
Gardino Nursery Corp. ... http://www.gardinonursery.com/product_info.php?products_id=54
Logee's Greenhouse ... http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1982-4
Black Olive East Nursery ... http://blackoliveeastnursery.net/zenCart_boe2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1700
Zone Ten ... http://www.zoneten.com/vines.htm
Sold at eBay ... http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Allamanda-Plant-Unusual-Pink-Mauve-Cherry-Jubilee-/360319516611
Dave's Garden Forum ... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/445320/
Maggie's Garden (read last para "Snippets") ... http://www.maggiesgarden.com/Plant_Profiles/Plant_This/Allamanda/allamanda.html

Not sure whether the posted plant is Allamanda cathartica 'Cherries Jubilee' OR it is always possible that a mistake is commonly carried by many people ... cannot comment about University of Florida.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 17, 2010, 3:21:11 PM11/17/10
to Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mani nair, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Tabish, tanay bose, promila chaturvedi
Yes Dinesh ji. It is interesting. Will perhaps have to find out the differences between the two species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 12, 2021, 10:35:14 AM4/12/21
to efloraofindia
 Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Allamanda cathartica ?
Although plant looks A. blachetii at first look, but as Dinesh ji suggested A. cathartica 'Cherries Jubilee' or even 'Cherry Ripe'.  The two species are primarily differentiated by pubescent young shoots, leaves and Calyx in A. blanchetii, all glabrous in A. cathartica. I don;t see any pubescens on any of these.
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 12, 2021, 1:23:18 PM4/12/21
to efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Allamanda blanchetii,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 04/12/21, 10:52:15 PM

Dinesh Valke

Apr 18, 2021, 12:27:16 AM4/18/21
to Paradesi Anjaneyulu, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for resurfacing the query.
Thanks very much Paradesi ji for the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Apr 18, 2021, 9:35:36 AM4/18/21
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
My pleasure Dinesh JI,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 04/18/21, 07:04:59 PM