12112010-1-PR-Chennai-Tree to ID

Padmini Raghavan

Nov 11, 2010, 3:00:20 PM11/11/10
to indiantreepix
Please help me id this tall tree growing in Chennai.
It is just dropping its seeds now.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 001.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 002.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 007.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 008.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 009.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 010.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 012.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 016.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 017.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 30, 2010, 6:48:24 PM11/30/10
to efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, Muthu Karthick, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman

Resurfacing agin for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 001.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 002.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 007.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 008.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 009.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 010.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 012.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 016.jpg
Tree to ID-next to Pinky's 017.jpg

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 1, 2010, 1:04:33 PM12/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman
I was told it could be a kind of Eucalyptus. Can someone confirm?
Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 1, 2010, 3:27:05 PM12/1/10
to Padmini Raghavan, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman
Not Eucalyptus, at least from fruits

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

Dec 1, 2010, 4:27:50 PM12/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Padmini Raghavan, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
I think it is Conocarpus lancifolius [Combretaceae].

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 1, 2010, 5:39:38 PM12/1/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Padmini Raghavan, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Conocarpus lancifolius Engl. Monogr. Afrik. Pflanzen.-Fam. 4: 32. 1900

Thanks a lot Dr. Vijay for the id.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 2, 2010, 12:05:43 AM12/2/10
to efloraofindia
These trees are very common here in Muscat planted by the roadside.
aarti