Chamba upper reaches - id al130811a

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 13, 2011, 1:13:07 PM8/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends

Looked to me at first like the Himalayan Geranium... but then it seemed
different...

Location Chamba
Altitude 3500 mts
Habit herb
Habitat wild
Plant height 18-20 inches

regards
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

073111_1325.jpg
073111_1326.jpg

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 9:05:08 PM8/13/11
to Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
GERANIUM WALLICHIANUM may be
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2011, 11:20:04 PM8/13/11
to Balkar Arya, Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
I don't think G. wallichianum. The large ovate stipules and bracts are missing. Rosy flowers and linear bracts and stipules suggest G. grevilleanum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 13, 2011, 11:51:36 PM8/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you sir,
not much reference available online for this ... but that is where this
forum and your advice play a good role..
regards
Alok

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2011, 12:02:56 AM8/14/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Balkar Arya, indian...@googlegroups.com
The new name for G. grevilleanum Wall. is G. lambertii

For most Western Himalaya plants you may refer to eFlora of Pakistan

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 14, 2011, 1:06:24 PM8/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you once again sir for the useful link and the continued
guidance...
regards
Alok

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Nov 19, 2016, 2:14:03 PM11/19/16
to efloraofindia
At present I am unsure what this is but have doubts about it being Geranium lambertii (have just posted images of a cultivated specimen of this species for reference purposes).  G.lambertii has previously been recorded from Chamba.  There are a number of geraniums in Kashmir & H.P. I am not familiar with.  Shall spend some time looking at these to see if this plant fits any.  I also consider there is every chance than one or two more species will be recognised in the coming decades.

I consider it will be helpful for keen photographers, willing to make an additional effort, to know which parts of Geranium to photograph.  Having images of such parts of each geranium will greatly aid identification and enhance our understanding of the genus in the Himalaya - and perhaps you can help with the locating and identification of a species new-to-science!

PHOTOGRAPHING GERANIUMS:

IF only the first one or two flowers have come out don't bother to collect as the form of inflorescence will not be evident.

The rootstock is important; get enough to show whether compact or creeping, or annual.  You can photograph the base of the plant which should provide this information.  Clearly, one requires permission from the authorities to uproot a plant.  There is still  a need and indeed role for the collection of pressed specimens for herbaria in India but that is primarily the domain of staff of botanic gardens/ institutions.

 In the early stages of flowering look out for the best-developed unripe fruits available.

 If fruit is ripe try to include both dehisced and undehisced states.

 If the fruits are falling with the seeds inside them, collect some (many geraniums disperse their seed explosively but some seed is often retained).

Include some loose petals when pressing (detach if necessary).  Expose stamens to show filament shape and hairs by taking 2 or 3 sepals off a flower from which petals have recently dropped.

Smoothing out one or two leaves and flowers as you close the press may be helpful; a few separately pressed basal and lower/middle stem leaves are often useful.

Wilted specimens can be very misleading.

Notes should be taken as to flower posture, colour and patterning of petals, colour of stigmas, anthers and distal parts of filaments (not necessary if your photos show these).

And don't forget to ensure the stipules are clearly shown - something that would have been obviously in pressed specimens, so not mentioned above by Yeo.

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Nov 19, 2016, 2:46:05 PM11/19/16
to efloraofindia
I missed out a word in my previous post.  Geranium lambertii has not been previously recorded from Chamba.

Just checked with 'Flora of India' - this just says India: Himalayas (it is Himalaya, not Himalayas) but no detailed
information on the distribution of this species in Indian territory. It says Central Nepal to Bhutan yet is known from
West Nepal.  Why no indication of the most NW location in Indian territory?

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2016, 8:17:25 PM11/21/16
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Alok Mahendroo

Thanks, Chadwell ji