Fwd: field guide to mountain trees

J.M. Garg

Dec 8, 2009, 12:02:31 AM12/8/09
to indiantreepix, Abhijit Menon-Sen
Forwarding pl. for assistance.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <a...@toroid.org>
Date: 2009/12/7
Subject: field guide to mountain trees
To: jmg...@gmail.com

Hi.

Do you know of any good book to help me identify the trees I might
encounter in the mountains of Kumaon, in warm-temperate, cold-temperate,
and subalpine forests? I don't know much about trees, so I'm looking for
something that explains various identifying characteristics and so on. I
don't know how to differentiate between Cedar and Pine, for example.

I know I can post photographs to indiantreepix, but (a) I won't have
access to the net when I'm in the field, and (b) I'd like to learn.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

-- ams

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 8, 2009, 5:20:56 AM12/8/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Abhijit Menon-Sen
I think Flora Nainitalensis (R K Gupta), Flora of Mussurie (Raizada & Saxena) together with Floroa Simlensis (Collet) and Flowers of Himalayas (Pollunin and Stanton should serve the purpose. They deal with gymnosperms as well as all angiosperms, trees included.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor