Flower for ID 071011SC4

Shobha Chavda

Oct 7, 2011, 9:17:39 AM10/7/11
to indiantreepix

Request for ID –  071011SC4

Dear Friends

Posting a photo for Id of flower

Date / Time – 18.09. 2011 / 11.00 am.

Location – Place – Kakuli Lake,Badalapur (Near Kalyan),Maharashtra

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Wild

Regards,

Shobha

Copy of Badalapur 106.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 7, 2011, 9:26:49 AM10/7/11
to Shobha Chavda, indiantreepix
Shobha ji, the flowers' spike (usually seen pendulous) reminds me of Dioscorea bulbifera ♀ ... the vegetative growth seen among the flower spikes is popularly known as air potato OR air yam.
The leaves of the climber are probably not seen here, please confirm.

Regards.
Dinesh

Tanay Bose

Oct 7, 2011, 9:30:34 AM10/7/11
to Dinesh Valke, Shobha Chavda, indiantreepix
Yes to me it also looks like Dioscorea bulbifera ♀ as Dinesh Ji
suggested
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Singh

Oct 7, 2011, 9:45:20 AM10/7/11
to Tanay Bose, Dinesh Valke, Shobha Chavda, indiantreepix
Yes Dioscorea bulbifera
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Neil Soares

Oct 7, 2011, 1:32:25 PM10/7/11
to Shobha Chavda, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Agree with Dinesh. This is Dioscorea bulbifera [Kadu Karanda]. An upturned leaf is seen in the right forefront. Please check the archives of this group for my photographs of the flowers,fruit & bulbils of this.
                             With regards,
                              Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 10/7/11, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bulbil of Dioscorea bulbifera 1.jpg
Bulbil of Dioscorea bulbifera 2.jpg
Bulbil of Dioscorea bulbifera 3.jpg
Bulbil of Dioscorea bulbifera 4.jpg

H S

Oct 8, 2011, 12:36:23 AM10/8/11
to Neil Soares, Shobha Chavda, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Yes Dioscorea bulbifera

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

shobha chavda

Oct 8, 2011, 12:58:16 PM10/8/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks Dineshji,Tanay,Balkarji,Neil and H S
Shobha

On Oct 8, 9:36 am, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Dioscorea bulbifera
>
> regards,
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Agree with Dinesh. This is Dioscorea bulbifera [Kadu Karanda]. An upturned
> > leaf is seen in the right forefront. Please check the archives of this group
> > for my photographs of the flowers,fruit & bulbils of this.
> >                              With regards,
> >                               Neil Soares.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 8, 2011, 1:18:32 PM10/8/11
to efloraofindia
Yess Dioscorea bulbifera. Twig is actually broken from top and some
insect eaten leaves are visible.
Pankaj