plant for ID060311AMS1

aadil meher

Mar 5, 2011, 9:59:28 PM3/5/11
to indiantreepix
Local name bach grows in aquatic conditions
05032011202.jpg
05032011205.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 5, 2011, 10:33:16 PM3/5/11
to aadil meher, indiantreepix
Iris sp. Please wait for flowers to come in May onwards. They would be really beautiful.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 5, 2011, 11:47:05 PM3/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, aadil meher, indiantreepix
With this photograph, I thought of Acorus calamus!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 6, 2011, 9:31:57 AM3/6/11
to Pankaj Kumar, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Yes Pankaj ji
It is possible, especially if it is bach (local name), the leaves are, however, slightly curved and broader in above plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 6, 2011, 12:04:37 PM3/6/11
to Pankaj Kumar, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Also the aquatic  habit goes in favour of Acorus.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 6, 2011, 12:07:12 PM3/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Adil.
This is a very fragrant plant. Even while plucking a part of the plant
for picture, you must have felt the fragrance If it was fragrant then
it confirms it to be Acorus. Curves of leaves in young condition in
this taxa is not a big deal and then the swollen midrib also point
towards Acorus.
Pankaj

prasad dash

Mar 7, 2011, 12:15:56 AM3/7/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Dear all i agreed absolutely with Pankaj, this is Acorus calamus

Regards

Prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

amit chauhan

Mar 7, 2011, 7:00:13 AM3/7/11
to prasad dash, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Yes it is Acorus calamus
--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Ushadi micrmini

Mar 7, 2011, 10:39:22 PM3/7/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All:
I am a little baffled....
how can one be soooo sure of the species of an important medicinal
plant...
without either smell? of the crushed leaf? or a cross section of the
leaf,
or best: the flowers and seedpods...

Just two small pictures can help IDENTIFY a plant?

To me these leaves could be from any of the flowering plants that can
be started
from a bulb...

would love to learn .
Thanks
Usha Desai M.D..

On Mar 7, 5:00 pm, amit chauhan <amitci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes it is Acorus calamus
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM, prasad dash <prasad.dash2...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dear all i agreed absolutely with Pankaj, this is Acorus calamus
>
> > Regards
>
> > Prasad
>
> > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Dear Mr. Adil.
> >> This is a very fragrant plant. Even while plucking a part of the plant
> >> for picture, you must have felt the fragrance If it was fragrant then
> >> it confirms it to be Acorus. Curves of leaves in young condition in
> >> this taxa is not a big deal and then the swollen midrib also point
> >> towards Acorus.
> >> Pankaj

> >> be

> >> aadilsharif...@gmail.com>
> > email: prasad.dash2...@gmail.com
> > ph. 09437444241
>
> --
> Dr. Amit Chauhan
> Junior Technical Assistant
> Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Research Centre,
> Pantnagar, PO Dairy Farm Nagla, Pantnagar, Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand
> 263149
> ph.05944 234445
> mob.+919412161087
> mail: amitci...@gmail.com