Sweet Tamarind from Thailand

Rashida Atthar

Feb 22, 2011, 11:01:46 PM2/22/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thought of sharing these Sweet Tamarind pictures, available in Mumbai markets fresh  from Thailand. Wonder if Marianne or  anyone can enlighten further on these trees whose fruits are as sweet as dates! Thanks .

regards,
Rashida.
Sweet Tamarind.JPG
Sweet Tamarind Thailand.JPG

ajinkya gadave

Feb 23, 2011, 1:28:00 AM2/23/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com

very sweet !!!!!!!
i have 6 year plant waiting for flowering.

Satish Chile

Feb 23, 2011, 1:47:53 AM2/23/11
to ajinkya gadave, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rae they really sweet Rashida Ji or mixture of Khatta-Mitha ?
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Satish Chile

Feb 23, 2011, 1:50:19 AM2/23/11
to ajinkya gadave, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Are they rally sweet Rashida ji or mixture of Khatt-Meetha ?

Rashida Atthar

Feb 23, 2011, 3:34:37 AM2/23/11
to Satish Chile, ajinkya gadave, indian...@googlegroups.com
The taste is  only sweet !

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 23, 2011, 3:36:59 AM2/23/11
to ajinkya gadave, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good to know that Ajinkya ji.  Do post the pictures once the flowers come!

regards,
Rashida.

formp...@yahoo.com

Feb 23, 2011, 3:58:20 AM2/23/11
to Rashida Atthar, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave
Not to start any contravercy but a question is always discussed on every forum conferences, seminars, NGO meetings, forest dept meetings, newspapers about Indigeous plants and nonindegious. When we take tree plantation drive sometimes this becomes a serious issue.
Will we call such plants grown from seeds from some fruits originally not Indian as Indegious or Nonindegious?
Is this question allowed on this forum?
If yes expect inputs, if not sorry.
Moderators pl decide.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:06:59 +0530
To: ajinkya gadave<ajinky...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:63428] Sweet Tamarind from Thailand

Jency Samuel

Feb 23, 2011, 6:06:22 AM2/23/11
to Rashida Atthar, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave, formp...@yahoo.com

I too had the same question in mind since I am doing an article about alien plant species.
I do hope Marianne, Ajinkya and others won't take this personally.

Regards
Jency

tanay bose

Feb 23, 2011, 9:54:39 AM2/23/11
to Jency Samuel, Rashida Atthar, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave, formp...@yahoo.com
Nice tamarind
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 23, 2011, 12:17:08 PM2/23/11
to tanay bose, Jency Samuel, Rashida Atthar, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave, formp...@yahoo.com
This Sweet Tamarind is cultivar of Tamarindus indica from Thailand is known as 'Makham Vaan'. There another sweet cultivar distributed by USDA known as 'Manila Sweet'

Interesting to note that several websites on net assign 'Sweet Tamarind' to Pithecelobium dulce, perhaps in error, which has much different much thinner curved fruits.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Feb 23, 2011, 12:24:54 PM2/23/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, Rashida Atthar, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave, formp...@yahoo.com
Many thanks for providing this clarity, Gurcharan ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

tanay bose

Feb 23, 2011, 3:02:36 PM2/23/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Jency Samuel, Rashida Atthar, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave, formp...@yahoo.com
Thanks Sir ji I had no idea about cultivars of Tamarind !!
Tanay

Rashida Atthar

Feb 24, 2011, 1:54:58 AM2/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, Efloraindia, ajinkya gadave, formp...@yahoo.com
Thank you Sir for the details.

regards,
Rashida.

Ulhas

Feb 24, 2011, 2:48:51 AM2/24/11
to efloraofindia
I had enjoyed these sweet tamarinds at breakfast table at Kunming in
China about 6 years ago. It was a novelty for me at that time and I
brought a few seeds and have grown about 20 saplings at my farm near
Karnala Bird Sanctuary. They are growing well and hope will fruit
soon (?!!!). Tamarind trees are known to be slow growing and have a
very long life..

I remember reading somewhere that the genus name 'Tamarindus'
originated from 'Tamar - e - Hind' meaning 'Date of India'. I would
always wonder how the sour tamarind fruit can be compared with
delicious date. But now with this sweet tamarind the question is
resolved since this tastes quite similar to dates.

Best wishes

Ulhas Rane

Rashida Atthar

Feb 24, 2011, 3:06:31 AM2/24/11
to Ulhas, efloraofindia
Thankyou Ulhas ji for the interesting information. All the best for your trees!

regards,
Rashida.