Luffa acutangula the Chinese Okra or Angled loofah

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2010, 8:24:39 PM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Luffa acutangula is commonly grown in temperate climates, common in Kashmir used as vegetable, photographed from Delhi from a nursery. Common names Ridged gourd, Chinese Okra, ribbed loofah, ribbed gourd, angled loofah and sinqua.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Luffa-acutangula-Delhi-3.jpg
Luffa-acutangula-Delhi-1.jpg
Luffa-acutangula-Delhi-2.jpg

tanay bose

Oct 7, 2010, 9:58:03 PM10/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
This is Jhinga
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 8, 2010, 6:08:50 AM10/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji,
This is Luffa acutangula or ridge gourd.
Kindly go through the link.
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Ridge+gourd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___IN364
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 10:57:53 AM10/8/10
to Yazdy Palia, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
Yazdy ji
I think Luffa acutangula and ridge gourd are the same. Please tell me if it is otherwise.
The fruit sold here under the name Chinese okra.
And Tanay, I think Jhinga is Bhindi Abelmoschus esculentus not this one.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Bhatt Sweta

Oct 8, 2010, 11:00:21 AM10/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
Sir,
Both are same...
Luffa cylindrica is other species of the genus which is otherwise known as smooth gourd.

Regards,
Shweta
--
Bhatt Shweta
Asso. Prof.,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 11:23:56 AM10/8/10
to Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
Here is the photograph of one sold here as Chinese okra, much longer than found in Indian markets

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Luffa-acutangula-Chinese okra-California.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Oct 8, 2010, 11:52:59 AM10/8/10
to Bhatt Sweta, Gurcharan Singh, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji, I think Shweta ji has answered for me. I have one query for Sweta. Is Lufa cylindrica known as sponge gourd too?
Regards
Yazdy.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Bhatt Sweta <bhatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bhatt Sweta (bhatt...@gmail.com) was added to your Guest List by their request | Delete this guest | Boxbe

Sir,
Both are same...
Luffa cylindrica is other species of the genus which is otherwise known as smooth gourd.

Regards,
Shweta

Yazdy Palia

Oct 8, 2010, 12:21:29 PM10/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Bhatt Sweta, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank You  Pankaj ji
Regards
Yazdy.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes Luffa cylindrica is also called sponge gourd, because of the fibres inside the fruits which are used as scrubbed in rural areas.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 12:22:14 PM10/8/10
to Yazdy Palia, Bhatt Sweta, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
Yes Yazdy ji

Luffa aegyptiaca (L.cylindrica): Egyptian loofah, dishrag gourd, loofah, rag gourd, smooth loofah, sponge gourd, vegetable-sponge, sze kwa (Chinese), courge torchon (French), pétole (French), Schwammgurke   (German), estropajo  (Spanish), paste  (Spanish), ghia tori  (Hindi, Urdu)

Luffa acutangula: angled loofah, Chinese-okra, ribbed gourd, ribbed loofah, ridged gourd, silky gourd, si gua (Chinese), Jhinga (Bengali-yes Tanay you are right), Pirkanga (Tamil), Beera kaya (Telugu), Dodaki (Marathi), Jeeka (Assamese)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 12:24:05 PM10/8/10
to Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay your Jhinga in Bangali is correct

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:19:10 PM10/8/10
to Yazdy Palia, Bhatt Sweta, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes Luffa cylindrica is also called sponge gourd, because of the fibres inside the fruits which are used as scrubbed in rural areas.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:32:13 PM10/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
But OKRA is supposed to be BHINDI.....as far as I know.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 12:34:34 PM10/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
That is why Chinese Okra!!

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:37:42 PM10/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
Chinese dont know the difference of Malvaceae and Cucurbitaceae
:p...... JUST KIDDING...
Pankaj

Smita Raskar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:45:30 PM10/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
'Dodaka' in marathi used as vegetable
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 1:43:14 PM10/8/10
to Smita Raskar, Pankaj Kumar, Bhatt Sweta, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
I like your sense of humor!!

Satish Phadke

Oct 10, 2010, 11:08:18 AM10/10/10
to Yazdy Palia, Bhatt Sweta, Gurcharan Singh, TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia
I think Sponge gourd is घोसावळे Ghosavale   in Marathi. We Maharashtrians make Bhaji or Pakodas from its slices. The dried fruit looks like scrub sponge as said earlier.
Dr Phadke

Jayanta

Oct 27, 2010, 5:13:42 AM10/27/10
to efloraofindia
Dudka in Sambalpuri a language of Orissa and Tarda in Oriya.