Vinca rosea hybrids in Chennai

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 26, 2010, 11:20:58 AM12/26/10
to indiantreepix
These Vinca rosea hybrids seem to like the soil etc in our garden.
Some of my neighbours complain that they emit a foul odour which is a nuisance in the ground floor apartments.
Is this possible?
 One neighbour complained that it was not orderly  - having grown out of its alloted space.
I was thrilled that SOMETHING was flourishing in our garden and not going into the usual wither -and -die routine!
 Cheers,
Padmini Raghavan.
Vinca rosea in our garden 001.jpg
Vinca rosea in our garden 003.jpg
Miscanthus rosea hybrids in our garden 001.jpg
Miscanthus rosea hybrids in our garden 002.jpg
Miscanthus rosea hybrids in our garden 003.jpg

tanay bose

Dec 26, 2010, 12:10:19 PM12/26/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
nice collection Padmini ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 26, 2010, 2:39:39 PM12/26/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Nice pics. They do have an unplesant odour but its is not so strong
that it can reach your neighbor.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

mani nair

Dec 27, 2010, 12:03:32 AM12/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Dear Padmini ji,

NEIGHBOUR'S ENVY, OWNERS PRIDE  !!

Regards,

Mani.

Jency Samuel

Jan 1, 2011, 12:21:51 PM1/1/11
to indiantreepix
Thanks for the post. I did not know that there were hybrids in Vinca sp. You get the odour when you take it close and try to smell it.

nabha meghani

Jan 4, 2011, 7:28:25 AM1/4/11
to mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
I agree with Pankaj ji and Mani ji.
Perhaps the source of  foul odour  is somewhere else.
I remember how our neighbours frowned upon our compost box in our garden, many years ago, as composting was not yet "in".
The source of odour was their own garbagecollector. It took time to convince them that compost is not at all the source of odour, if done properly. Now they have three boxes in their garden.  :-)))
Regards
Nalini

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 4, 2011, 7:26:54 AM1/4/11
to nabha meghani, mani nair, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
It may sound awkward but the best way to check a compost is to smell
it.... the best ones would have no smell at all. It smells only when
it is still decomposing.
Pankaj

nabha meghani

Jan 4, 2011, 8:03:25 AM1/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
That is what i meant Panka ji,
the source was not our box.
anyway my neighbours are convinced and have started composting.
But in one year we had too many ants there and the compost had a very
pleasent smell. The ants are gone now.