Kigelia africana from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 15, 2010, 12:17:52 AM4/15/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Some recently clicked photographs of Sausage Tree Kigelia africana

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Kigelia-africana-Delhi-1.jpg
Kigelia-africana-Delhi-2.jpg
Kigelia-africana-Delhi-3.jpg
Kigelia-africana-Delhi-4.jpg
Kigelia-africana-Delhi-5.jpg

Pravir

Apr 15, 2010, 6:16:25 AM4/15/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for uploading the photo. Now a days it is on flowering. I got
the flowers during the morning walk and trying to remember the name of
plant, but didnt gate and at last its here.

>  Kigelia-africana-Delhi-1.jpg
> 216KViewDownload
>
>  Kigelia-africana-Delhi-2.jpg
> 175KViewDownload
>
>  Kigelia-africana-Delhi-3.jpg
> 267KViewDownload
>
>  Kigelia-africana-Delhi-4.jpg
> 238KViewDownload
>
>  Kigelia-africana-Delhi-5.jpg
> 317KViewDownload

Satish Chile

Apr 15, 2010, 6:35:21 AM4/15/10
to Pravir, efloraofindia
  Excellent Photos Pravir ji. Kigelia africana in Seoni and Balaghat district of M.P. is called "Garud Tree". As the story goes... some snke chrmers with their snakes in the basket stayed one night under this tree in the nearby village. Next morning to their surprise they found all snakes were dead. So villagers named this tree as "Garud tree" (after the name of the Eagle which kills snakes). Villagers believe that if any snake comes under the tree it would die.
Any such reports......from your side???
Satish

Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Pravir

Apr 15, 2010, 7:03:38 AM4/15/10
to efloraofindia
Satish ji the photographs is by Dr. Gurcharan Singh Sir

Satish Chile

Apr 15, 2010, 7:10:41 AM4/15/10
to Pravir, efloraofindia
Thank u for the correction Pravir ji. Now I would like to attract the attention of Gurucharan ji. Hello Veer ji.
Satish

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Pravir <pra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Satish ji the photographs is by Dr. Gurcharan Singh Sir

Satish Chile

Apr 15, 2010, 7:16:29 AM4/15/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Gurucharan ji, I wrote some comments about Kigelia africana. Would you mind to go through Sir.
Satish

Pravir

Apr 15, 2010, 8:27:38 AM4/15/10
to efloraofindia
Satish ji the information is nice, but in Delhi and Grgaon this plant
is extensively planted near by the roads. I didint hear any thing as
you say.

On Apr 15, 4:16 pm, Satish Chile <chilesat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gurucharan ji, I wrote some comments about Kigelia africana. Would you mind
> to go through Sir.
> Satish
>

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some recently clicked photographs of Sausage Tree Kigelia africana
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> >  --

> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Satish Phadke

Apr 15, 2010, 8:51:40 AM4/15/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Excellent clean pictures Gurcharan ji
Didynamous nature of stamens can be made out typical of Family Bignoniaceae
The flowers are pollinated by bats I suppose so they bloom during night. If one has to take the pictures need to take them at night or very early morning.
Dr Phadke

rashida atthar

Apr 15, 2010, 8:59:58 AM4/15/10
to sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Very Nice Pics sir, Thanks for sharing.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:47:52 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:32308] Kigelia africana from Delhi
From: sing...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com; bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com

All the post budget analysis and implications Sign up now.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 15, 2010, 9:07:47 AM4/15/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Satish ji
I took these pictures around 9 am. Most of my pictures are between 8-9.30 am

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 15, 2010, 9:52:52 AM4/15/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
GREAT PHOTOS SIR JI....
"WHAT AN IDEA SIR JI"

TANAY

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Balkar Arya

Apr 15, 2010, 9:55:15 PM4/15/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gurcharan Ji
Lovely Photographs!!!
Thanks for sharing

Regards
--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

shobha chavda

Apr 16, 2010, 7:07:08 AM4/16/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Satishji,
I had read somewhere that the flowers are pollinated by " Fruit
Bats".Are these bats different than the regular bats? are they smaller
in size ?
Shobha

On Apr 15, 5:51 pm, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent clean pictures Gurcharan ji
> *Didynamous* nature of stamens can be made out typical of Family
> Bignoniaceae
> The flowers are pollinated by bats I suppose so they bloom during night. If
> one has to take the pictures need to take them at night or very early
> morning.
> Dr Phadke
>
> On 15 April 2010 09:47, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Some recently clicked photographs of Sausage Tree Kigelia africana
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/<http://people.du.ac.in/%7Esinghg45/>
>
> >  --
> > .

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 16, 2010, 9:46:10 AM4/16/10
to shobha chavda, efloraofindia

Shobha ji

Fruit bats also known as megabats are not necessarily larger or smaller than other bats called microbats, although most are larger. They can be as small as 6 cm (smaller than microbats) to as long as 40 cm (wing span up to 150 cm). They are also known as flying foxes and differ in two characters from microbats. Firstly they have very large eyes which allows them to navigate in caves and  and forests twilight, and unlike microbats they don't have echolocation capability. These fruit bats eat both nectar and fruits and bring about pollination.

Here is some more information:

Pollination studies suggest that the most important pollination vectors are bats. However, unlike most bat-pollinated flowers which are characteristically white or cream, the flowers of Kigelia africana are reddish to purplish; the strong unpleasant odour is likely to be the primary attractant. Fruits may remain on the tree for up to 6 months.

The flowers, which, after some, have a rather unpleasant smell, open in sequence and remain open for one night only and are usually pollinated by bats; when one flower is pollinated, the other buds belonging to the same inflorescence usually abort, and this to avoid the presence of many fruits on the same peduncle, which could not bear their weight.

Their sweet nectar is drunk by bats, baboons, monkeys, sunbirds, herd boys tending lifestock, and other creatures.

The wrinkles in flowers are used as a grip by the bats to prevent them from slipping from the flowers while they are drinking.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Neil Soares

Apr 16, 2010, 11:23:10 AM4/16/10
to shobha chavda, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

Hi Shobha,

   If I may answer your question –

     All Fruit bats [Family Pteropodidae] are medium to large-sized bats with fur on their bodies, long snouts with simple noses and ears & no / small tails.

     As fruit-eaters they are responsible for the destruction of fruit as well as for seed dispersal [because of their habit of carrying away fruit to their distant roosts].

     While drinking nectar they also help in pollination of flowers. Generally flowers pollinated by bats are white in colour, have a strong odour, open after dusk, with an inflorescence usually in the open at the top of the tree – a typical example being Oroxylum indicum [locally called Tetu / Ullu].

     Of the 5 species of Large and 8 species of Medium-sized Fruit bats found in India,  have encountered only one of each on my property. They are:

  1. The Indian Flying Fox / Indian Fruit Bat [Pteropus giganteus] – a colony roosting on one of my Mohua [Madhuca indica] trees.
  2. The Short-nosed Fruit Bat [Cynopterus sphinx] roosting on one of my Jarul [Lagerstroemia flos-regina] trees.

Also have a cave with Dusky Leaf-nosed Bats, but that’s another story.

Sending you a few photographs.

                      With regards,

                         Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 4/16/10, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Indian Flying Foxes roosting.jpg
Indian Flying Fox.jpg
Indian Flying Fox , Indian Fruit Bat.jpg
Short-nosed Fruit Bat 1.jpg
Short-nosed Fruit Bat 2.jpg
Short-nosed Fruit Bat 3.jpg

shobha chavda

Apr 17, 2010, 7:44:52 AM4/17/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanx Neil and Gurcharanji.
Shobha

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 17, 2010, 10:37:52 PM4/17/10
to shobha chavda, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thanks Neil ji, for detailed information