California shrub with cones

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 19, 2010, 11:57:31 PM10/19/10
to efloraofindia
Photographed this interesting shrub about a week ago or so, it was exciting to identify it, I succeeded only today.

Any members who are familiar with it?

Before I give its name.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

California-shrub-3.jpg
California-shrub-1.jpg
California-shrub-2.jpg

tanay bose

Oct 20, 2010, 7:23:54 PM10/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Let me try
I think this is Leucadendron galpinii commonly known as Galpin's Leucadendron
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2010, 7:55:46 PM10/20/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay
You are a genius, no doubt my favourite,
I am proud of you.
The species is, however, L. salignum

Common names: Common Sunshine Conebush, Geelbos, Red Cone Bush, Sunshine Protea

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayadas D

Oct 21, 2010, 4:00:17 AM10/21/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
whether it is Gymnopserm ?
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 21, 2010, 9:45:41 AM10/21/10
to Vijayadas D, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
No this is Proteaceae Vijay sir.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Inderjeet Sethi

Oct 21, 2010, 11:23:05 AM10/21/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayadas D, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Very interesting, from cones any body will say it is gymno.
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

Vijayadas D

Oct 22, 2010, 12:15:19 AM10/22/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks.