Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: Verbenaceae - Callicarpa macrophylla

Dinesh Valke

Jul 6, 2011, 3:01:34 AM7/6/11
to efloraofindia
Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl
  • kal-ee-KAR-puh or kal-ih-KAR-puh -- beautiful seeded
  • mak-roh-FIL-uh -- large leaf

Priyangu (Sanskrit: प्रियङ्गु)
Apr 26, 2008 along Ghodbunder Road (near Ghodbunder)

commonly known as: French Mulberry of Western Ghats, perfumed cherry • Gujarati: લતાપ્રિયંગુ latapriyangu • Hindi: बस्तरा bastara • Kannada: ಇಬ್ಬನಿ ibbani, ಱುಷಿಪತ್ರಿ rushipatri • Konkani: ऐंसर ayamsar • Lepcha: sungru muuk • Malayalam: ചെറുതേക്ക് cerutheekk, നായ്ക്കുബിശ് naaykkubis, നായ്ത്തേക്ക് naayththeekk • Marathi: ऐसर aesar, कानफुली kanphuli • Mizo: hnahkiah • Nepalese: गुएनलो guenlo • Punjabi: ਦਰੂਸ darus, ਦੇਂਥਰ denthar, ਪੱਥਰ ਮਨ patthar man • Sanskrit: प्रियङ्गु priyangu • Tamang: dahigun •Tamil: காட்டுக்குமிழ் kattu-k-kumil

Native to: s China, Indian subcontinent, Indo-China

  • Dahigun (in Tamang) ... Feb 18, 2009 in Matheran
  • French Mulberry of Western Ghats ... Mar 20, 2011 at Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary
  • da ye zi zhu (Chinese: 大叶紫珠) ... Mar 15, 2009 at Yeoor Hills
  • Naayththeekk (Malayalam: നായ്ത്തേക്ക്) ... Apr 23, 2011 along Anmod Ghat

Regards.
Dinesh

mani nair

Jul 6, 2011, 11:58:57 AM7/6/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
beautiful flowers Dinesh ji,
Thanks for sharing,
Regards,
Mani

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 7, 2011, 1:09:54 AM7/7/11
to mani nair, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks for another good display.
Unfortunately without my books, I am not able to send local names with my uploads.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

JM Garg

Jun 18, 2016, 3:10:55 AM6/18/16
to efloraofindia, Varun Sharma, Dinesh Valke
A reply:
For the link above species should be Callicarpa tomentosa (L.) L. because in C. macrophylla drupes always white, and the linked web links from Dineshji have already changed the names in Flickr.
Kind regards,
Varun"

Thanks, Varun ji.