Butea superba

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Mar 31, 2011, 6:10:20 AM3/31/11
to indiantreepix
I was anxious to see this plant flowering for last 15 years. Thanks to Kishor Gumaste who forwarded this picture for ID recently. This is indeed Palasvel photographed in Kanha NP in Feb 2011. Next season I can see the flowers myself. Besides being a raceme at each node of the slender long stem, the inflorescence lacks the olive brown velvety surface. The petals, esp. keel seem longer than in B. monosperma. One of the calyx lobe seems to have a spur like cauda. Pls validate the differences and point out more. Regards,

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
PalasVel_8KG.jpg

Sanjay Karkare

Mar 31, 2011, 11:44:38 PM3/31/11
to le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear All

Attached my last week photos of Palasvel from Melghat Tiger Reserve.

Regards

Sanjay Karkare
Nagpur
_MG_3455 (Medium).jpg