Sacred beauty ! Temple grove Chidambaram

raghu ananth

Jun 19, 2011, 5:17:48 AM6/19/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This Orange flowering tree looks very similar to  - Cordia subcordata Beach Cordia, ironwood
Plant Height 10 -12 feet
Leaves alternate, 12 cms
Flower size -3cms

Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu

Regards

Raghu

DSC_7873 chidambaram red flower p1.jpg
DSC_7876 p5 Leaves.jpg
DSC_7878 p4 Bark.jpg
DSC_7879 p2 Flower side view.jpg
DSC_7880 p3 Flower cluster.jpg

Mahadeswara

Jun 19, 2011, 7:28:48 AM6/19/11
to efloraofindia
Cordia sebestina.Orange Geiger Tree, Broadleaf Cordia, Geiger Tree,
Largeleaf Geiger Tree.
>  DSC_7873 chidambaram red flower p1.jpg
> 217KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7876 p5 Leaves.jpg
> 214KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7878 p4 Bark.jpg
> 204KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7879 p2 Flower side view.jpg
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7880 p3 Flower cluster.jpg
> 180KViewDownload

Vijayasankar

Jun 21, 2011, 2:06:53 PM6/21/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Its unusual to see an exotic tree, with less or no ethnobotanical or cultural value as in this case, as a sacred plant in Indian temples.
I guess its just an ornamental, garden plant and not a "sacred" tree.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Jun 21, 2011, 3:43:12 PM6/21/11
to efloraofindia
Since by definition, nothing is added or taken away from a sacred
grove...
this must have been a naturalised /volunteered specimen...
brought in by the wind or birds... etc...
an escapee from gardens finding sanctuary in a sacred grove...
fantastic...love it
Usha di...

======

On Jun 21, 11:06 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its unusual to see an exotic tree, with less or no ethnobotanical or
> cultural value as in this case, as a sacred plant in Indian temples.
> I guess its just an ornamental, garden plant and not a "sacred" tree.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Shan Rajasekaran

Jun 22, 2011, 10:39:21 PM6/22/11
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com