Talimkhana flower-200111MN

mani nair

Jan 20, 2011, 5:42:50 AM1/20/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of Talimkhana flower.

Name : Hygrophila auriculata
Family : Acanthaceae
Common name : Marsh barbel (English)   Talimkhana (Hindi)
Others :  Seen in marsh land.

Regards,

Mani.

talimkhana.jpg
talimkhana4.JPG
talimkhana2.JPG
talimkhana3.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 20, 2011, 6:02:26 AM1/20/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for nice photographs. Heard a lot about this plant, but never seen it.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mani nair

Jan 20, 2011, 6:05:51 AM1/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gurcharan ji for your appreciation. I forgot to type the place :  It is from a marsh land in Dombivli near to our house.

Regards.

Mani.

tanay bose

Jan 20, 2011, 8:14:09 AM1/20/11
to mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice cath seen in bengal too
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Nidhan Singh

Jan 20, 2011, 9:05:18 AM1/20/11
to tanay bose, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
This plant is common in marshy places in our area too,this is
Hygrophila auriculata I suppose.
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Satish Phadke

Jan 20, 2011, 9:22:26 AM1/20/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I was knowing it as Hygrophila schulli. On checking it on GRIN it is the synonym and as written by Mani ji Hygrophila auriculata is the accepted name. Am I right?
Attaching my pictures taken near Kaas plateau.
Dr Phadke
Talimkhana Hygrophilla schulii.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 20, 2011, 9:32:45 AM1/20/11
to mani nair, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
In Marathi called as Kate korant
Madhuri

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 20, 2011, 11:57:58 AM1/20/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, mani nair, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps the correct name needs to be explored further, since after the publication of Kew Plant List, it would be advisable to follow this list for all plants in our database. GRIN considers Hygrophila schulli M.R.Almeida & S.M.Almeida as illegitimate as well as superfluous name, and as such correct name as H. auriculata (Schum.) Heine. Kew list, however, recognises both as independent accepted names. If so, how are two differentiated, and what is above plant?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Choudhary

Jan 20, 2011, 8:01:42 PM1/20/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks Maniji for showing this beautiful plant. But what is the
meaning of 'Talimkhana'? Or is it Taal-Makhana?

waiting to hear from you.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Rashida Atthar

Jan 22, 2011, 12:43:48 AM1/22/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Mani ji and Satish ji for the beautiful pictures. Respondig to Dr. Gurcharan ji's query -  I would like to state the following reference I did

for Hygrophila schulli. Dr Almeida's  flora Vol IV A ,pg :51  has given the valid name for the pictures posted as Hygrophila schulli ( Buch.-Ham) Almeida & Almeida. Published in Journal of Bombay natural history society. 83 (suppl.) 221, 1986.  One of the synonym being H. auriculata (Sch.) Heine. Published in Kew Bull. 16:172,1962.

As mentioned by Sir, Kew plant list considers Hygrophila schilli (Buch.-ham) Almeida and Almeida as valid.  The morphological detailed description in the flora completely matchedsthe plants posted. The most prominent charactersitics being that of sharp yellow spines 2.5- 4 cm long in the leaf axils. Flowers in whorls of 8 ( in 4 pairs)  at each node, bracts about 2.5 cm long, like the leaves, lanceolate, hairy and ciliate....corolla purple -blue....

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 22, 2011, 5:14:13 AM1/22/11
to Rashida Atthar, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
eFlora of Pakistan gives following local names for H. auriculata

Talmakhana, gokula. kanta, gokshura

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Jan 22, 2011, 6:58:40 AM1/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Sir, one more common name for the plant under discussion, forgot to mention earlier  is Kolsunda besides Talimkhana, as mentioned in Dr. Almeida's flora.

regards,
Rashida.

mani nair

Jan 23, 2011, 12:27:37 AM1/23/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Ritesh ji, I also do not know the meaning.  It is a medicinal plant.  It is also called by the name Talam Khana.

Regards,

Mani.