Request for ID

geeta arun

Jul 31, 2009, 12:45:06 PM7/31/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Reqesting for ID of a shrub from Maharahtra Nature Park-Mumbai.
Geeta Samant
UID-MNP.jpg
UID--MNP...jpg
MNP-UID.jpg

geeta arun

Aug 3, 2009, 11:27:59 AM8/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Requesting fo ID of a shrub from Maharashtra Nature Park-Mumbai.
Geeta Samant.
Mumbai
UID-MNP.jpg
UID--MNP...jpg
MNP-UID.jpg

Gurcharan Singh-sify

Aug 4, 2009, 9:17:13 AM8/4/09
to geeta arun, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have also photographed this plant from Delhi. This reminds me of Solanum nigrum (which it can't be because of slightly different leaves and being a shrub). Being shrubby it could be nearer Solanum pseudocapsicum, but number flowers in a cluster are 2-4. Also I have yet to see ripe fruits which are red like cherry in S. pseudocapsicum.

Gurcharan Singh

Pravin Kawale

Aug 4, 2009, 12:34:55 PM8/4/09
to Gurcharan Singh-sify, geeta arun, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
It's fruits turns yellow
when rippen
Thanks
--
Pravin

geeta arun

Aug 4, 2009, 2:02:45 PM8/4/09
to Pravin Kawale, Gurcharan Singh-sify, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pravin, Rohit & Gurcharan Singh.
I think it is Solanum Nigrum.
Ref- The flora of The  Presidency of Bombay. Vol 2-page263. Berries may be turning purplish-black when ripe.
Regards,
Geeta Samant

Gurcharan Singh-sify

Aug 5, 2009, 12:57:44 AM8/5/09
to geeta arun, Pravin Kawale, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think we will wait before final confirmation. I won't go with S. nigrum because plant is shrub, leaves are totally entire, clearly narrowed towards base. Solanum nigrum is very common in our area, flowers may be yellow, red or purple when ripe. Although I had first confused this shrub with Solanum nigrum on the basis of rhipidium and flower size, I am now more sure that it is some other  species.

satish pardeshi

Aug 6, 2009, 2:22:28 AM8/6/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
this plant is

Solanum pseudocapsicum L. Sp. Pl. 184, 1753; Almeida, Fl. Mah. 3: 377,
2001.
Common names: Winter cherry, Jerusalem cherry.
Origin: Native of Madeira-Portugal.
quiet common in Mumbai as garden weed.

One interesting thing i observed that when it is flowering the flowers
are below the leaves, facing downwards ie to the ground, and when it
is fruiting the fruits orient themselves and comes above the leaves
(in erect position). the fruit color varies from orange to yellow,
red.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Aug 5, 9:57 am, "Gurcharan Singh-sify" <sin...@sify.com> wrote:
> I think we will wait before final confirmation. I won't go with S. nigrum because plant is shrub, leaves are totally entire, clearly narrowed towards base. Solanum nigrum is very common in our area, flowers may be yellow, red or purple when ripe. Although I had first confused this shrub with Solanum nigrum on the basis of rhipidium and flower size, I am now more sure that it is some other  species.
>
> Gurcharan Singh

Gurcharan Singh-sify

Aug 6, 2009, 8:12:14 AM8/6/09
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Thanks Satish ji

I was never comfortable with Solanum nigrum. Today I had a fresh look at the
plant, the fruits are still unripe and green but already nearly twice the
size of Solanum nigrum. It catches better with Solanum pseudocapsicum, one
of the two species I had suggested in the first post.

singhg .

Sep 21, 2009, 8:56:59 AM9/21/09
to geeta arun, indian...@googlegroups.com
On 8/4/09, Gurcharan Singh-sify <sin...@sify.com> wrote:
Well it is this one, finally identified correctly as Solanum diphyllum, a plant we earlier thought as S. pseudocapsicum. Solanum diphyllum is shrub like former, but leaves are unequal, flower clusters with more than 3 flowers, berries yellow and slightly bilobed. It is often cultivated and I have found it growing in Herbal Garden and Old Delhi Ridge.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Pardeshi S.

Sep 22, 2009, 7:39:05 AM9/22/09
to indiantreepix
thanx Singh ji for the correct Id. it was long believed by me to be
Solanum pseudocapsicum.

thanx and regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Sep 21, 5:56 pm, "singhg ." <sin...@sify.com> wrote:
> On 8/4/09, Gurcharan Singh-sify <sin...@sify.com> wrote:
>

> >  I have also photographed this plant from Delhi. This reminds me of
> > Solanum nigrum (which it can't be because of slightly different leaves and
> > being a shrub). Being shrubby it could be nearer Solanum pseudocapsicum, but
> > number flowers in a cluster are 2-4. Also I have yet to see ripe fruits
> > which are red like cherry in S. pseudocapsicum.
>
> > Gurcharan Singh

Tabish

Sep 22, 2009, 8:23:39 AM9/22/09
to indiantreepix
This should be Twoleaf Nightshade (Solanum diphyllum)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Twoleaf%20Nightshade.html
as identified by Gurcharan ji
Do notice that leaves come in strongly unequal pairs - one leaf large,
one small.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On Jul 31, 9:45 pm, geeta arun <geetaar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reqesting for ID of a shrub from Maharahtra Nature Park-Mumbai.
> Geeta Samant
>
>  UID-MNP.jpg
> 198KViewDownload
>
>  UID--MNP...jpg