orchid

Vijayadas D

Feb 7, 2011, 10:28:10 AM2/7/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all ,

Here I am attaching fotos of an orchid  , collected from lawn in my compound today.

with many thanks,

--
Vijayadas D
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 7, 2011, 11:07:46 AM2/7/11
to Vijayadas D, efloraofindia
This has very recently been recorded from Saudi. This should be
Zeuxine strateumatica. You are a proud owner of this orchid as it is
supposed to be of very rare occurrence in your area. These are found
in moist, open grasslands.
Please can you send me a pic of front view of flower? I can see
anything yellow on it.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 7, 2011, 11:08:09 AM2/7/11
to Vijayadas D, efloraofindia
I meant I cant see anything yellow on the flower.
Regards
Pankaj

Vijayadas D

Feb 8, 2011, 6:37:26 AM2/8/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
dear,
please find the attached foto.

--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Satish Phadke

Feb 8, 2011, 7:40:02 AM2/8/11
to Vijayadas D, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes it does look like Zeuxine strateumatica
I have observed this in PMC garden in Pune. Attaching photo
Dr Phadke
Zeuxine strateumatica.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 8, 2011, 8:09:13 AM2/8/11
to Satish Phadke, Vijayadas D, efloraofindia
Yes, all the pics shared by Satish sir and Vijay sir are Zeuxine
strateumatica. This is one of the most widespread orchids of the world
hence it does show a lot of variation and then there are some more
species which looks very much similar and hence poses confusion to us.
Thanks for sharing.
Please find attached some of my pics from Dehradun but last year..
Regards
Pankaj
Slide16.JPG
Slide17.JPG
Slide18.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 8, 2011, 8:12:34 AM2/8/11
to Satish Phadke, Vijayadas D, efloraofindia
Thomas, S. 1998. “The advance of Zeuxine strateumatica, a new record
for Saudi Arabia.” Orchid Review 106. (1221): 153-154.

This is the reference I was talking about.
Regards
Pankaj

Vijayadas D

Feb 8, 2011, 8:57:57 AM2/8/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 8, 2011, 9:08:36 AM2/8/11
to efloraofindia
The advent of this orchid can be with the soil transported (imported?)
for the lawn. This happened in a garden in Pune (Satishji's pics)
where the soil was dug out from the natural habitat of this orchid.
The tubers came in with the soil. Amazing, how plants travel! Regards,
Shrikant

On Feb 8, 6:57 pm, Vijayadas D <dvijaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 8, 2011, 9:10:37 AM2/8/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
You are right Shrikant sir, but in general orchid seeds are so small
that they surely can travel on air especially if they are dispersed
during the dry and windy seasons like this one.
Regards
Pankaj