Diospyros peregrina

Neha Singh

Aug 4, 2011, 7:56:57 AM8/4/11

Aug 4, 2011, 9:07:03 AM8/4/11

> संस्कृत- कृष्नासारा
> English - Indian Persimmon.
> Photographed at Empress garden ,Pune
> Dated- 12th June 11
>

>  Kala tendu (2).JPG
> 536KViewDownload

Smilax004

Aug 4, 2011, 12:36:46 PM8/4/11
to Neha Singh, indiantreepix, Mahadeswara Swamy
This could be Diospyros peregrina of Ebenaceae family. The new name
for this species is Diospyros malabarica (Desr.) Kostel

It would be good to have look at the venation of leaves in a close up.

Regards,
Giby

On Aug 4, 4:56 pm, Neha Singh <neha.vind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Botanical name*-   Diospyros peregrina
> *Common name*-

>  हिंदी - काला तेंदू ,
> संस्कृत- कृष्नासारा
> English - Indian Persimmon.
> Photographed at Empress garden ,Pune
> Dated- 12th June 11
>

>  Kala tendu (2).JPG
> 536KViewDownload

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 5, 2011, 3:39:42 AM8/5/11
to Neha Singh, indiantreepix
Yes, It is D. malabarica (Syn: Diospyros peregrina) of Ebenaceae family.

Regards,
Giby

On 5 August 2011 12:37, Neha Singh <neha.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
The name of  the tree was written on a placard on it. Thanks for making me aware f it's new name .
Sending U one closer look bt m afraid,it's nt that clear.

Thanks.
Neha Singh

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2011, 4:18:46 AM8/5/11
to Neha Singh, Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Hi,
  Have only one tree of this on my property. It was planted in 1997 but unfortunately has not yet flowered / fruited. Sending a few photographs to highlight the leaves.
                     Regards,
                      Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 8/5/11, Giby Kuriakose <giby.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
Diospyros malabarica [D.peregrina, D embryopteris, Temburni, Kala Tendu] 1.jpg
Temburni leaves 1.jpg
Temburni leaves 2.jpg
Temburni leaves 3.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 5, 2011, 4:33:07 AM8/5/11
to Neil Soares, Neha Singh, indiantreepix
Are't the leaves looks like Garcinia?

There is a synonym for this plant as Garcinia malabarica Desr. in Lam., Encycl. 3: 701.1792 (ref. Sasidharan 2004)!

mani nair

Aug 5, 2011, 4:40:56 AM8/5/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Neha Singh, indiantreepix
Mr. Neil, beautiful photos.  May I know the medicinal uses of this tree?

Regards,

Mani.

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2011, 9:17:21 AM8/5/11
to Giby Kuriakose, mani nair, Neha Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks Mr. Mani. Haven't the foggiest. I pass on this one.
                Regards,
                  Neil Soares.