predators of hibiscus

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 21, 2011, 9:14:36 AM8/21/11
to indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
There is a large bush of Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Jabakusum) in  my 'garden'. This is the flowering time and it should give  about a dozen     flowers this time. But with the predators present  one gets only 3-4 per day. The worst part is that the orange beetle literally eats the petals. Thought I would send the photographs of the 'mantis'.
ak

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

acacia in my garden_3-13.jpg
acacia in my garden_1-6.jpg
acacia in my garden_1-7.jpg
acacia in my garden_1-8.jpg
acacia in my garden_1-10.jpg
acacia in my garden_2-6.jpg
acacia in my garden_2-9.jpg
acacia in my garden_2-10.jpg
acacia in my garden_2-13.jpg

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 21, 2011, 12:21:25 PM8/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt
Dear Bhatt ji,
The beetle is a species of Mylabris. The 'mantis' is actually an immature 'Ak grasshopper, Poekilocerus pictus'.
Cheers,
Mohan