Solnacaea week:Physalis minima

Smita Raskar

Apr 5, 2011, 6:11:53 AM4/5/11
to indiantreepix

Hello
Physalis minima found at Sawantwadi, Maharashtra
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Picture 1070.jpg
Picture 3982.jpg

manudev madhavan

Apr 5, 2011, 6:54:04 AM4/5/11
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Dear all,

Can anybody tell how to differentiate P. minima from P. angulata??

regards

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 5, 2011, 6:55:35 AM4/5/11
to manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Vijayasankar ji
Please help with the key of Indian species of P. minima complex

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Smita Raskar

Apr 5, 2011, 8:47:17 AM4/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix

http://www.plantsystematics.com/qikan/manage/wenzhang/aps06141.pdf....refer  this link it gives details of species Physalis
It says (vi) Nicolson et al. (1988) reduced P. minima L. as a synonym of P. angulata L.
There is a need to typify  Physalis minima L. However, Edmonds (personal
communication) opines that the typification of the Linnaean P. minima is complex, with the
lectotype (Hort. Cliff. no. 62, Physalis 5) being conspecific to  P. angulata. Therefore, she
considers it as a synonym of the latter in her forthcoming account of Solanaceae in Flora of
Tropical East Africa. Most of the descriptions and plates on which Linnaeus based his species
also refer to P. angulata rather than to the small-flowered prostrate plant, usually known as
“P. minima” (that we treat here as Physalis lagascae).
Conversely, in the Indian taxonomic literature, we are dealing with two distinct elements
(Table 1) under the name P. minima: First  one is an erect, robust, smooth, tetraploid taxon
with bigger flowers (>7 mm across), bluish anthers, and fruiting calyces tinged purple   No. 2 RAJU et al.:The myth of “minima” and “maxima”, the species of Physalis 241
(P. angulata). The second one is a diffuse to erect, relatively smaller, pubescent, diploid taxon
with smaller (<6 mm across) flowers (parviflora or micrantha), yellow anthers, and greenish
fruiting calyces (P. lagascae).

Smita Raskar

Apr 5, 2011, 8:56:37 AM4/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Yeah Key is useful but then i must be wrong in id of my plant,i think picture i hv posted should be Physalis angulata according to this key..is it...plz help i am confused :(

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Smita ji for useful information. This should really help in understanding our photographs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 5, 2011, 9:28:27 AM4/5/11
to Smita Raskar, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Yes looks like P. angulata
Here is mine from Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Physalis-angulata-Delhi-2.jpg
Physalis-angulata-Delhi-3.jpg
Physalis-angulata-Delhi-1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Smita Raskar

Apr 5, 2011, 10:42:01 AM4/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Yeah thanks:)

Neil Soares

Apr 5, 2011, 1:45:31 PM4/5/11
to Smita Raskar, Gurcharan Singh, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Hi,
  These are mine. Taken on my property in August 2010. Presume they are Physalis minima.
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares.

--- On Tue, 4/5/11, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Physalis minima, Little Gooseberry 1.jpg
Physalis minima, Little Gooseberry 2.jpg
Physalis minima, Little Gooseberry 3.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2011, 8:16:46 AM4/6/11
to Neil Soares, Smita Raskar, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
I think the same Physalis angulata, since P. minima L. is no longer an accepted name

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Apr 6, 2011, 12:35:43 PM4/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Thank you Prof. Singh for your feedback.

 Dr. Almeida in his 'Flora of Maharashtra' Vol 3-B lists Physalis angulata & Physalis minima as distinct species.
 Furthermore, he states that though P.angulata has been recorded from a few places in Maharashtra, it is a native of the West Indies.

 Will therefore have to stick with my plants being Physalis mininma.
                           Regards,
                            Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2011, 12:48:10 PM4/6/11
to Neil Soares, Smita Raskar, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Neil ji
Perhaps you did not get my point. P. minima L. is no longer a valid name and as such can't be used for any species, in the same way as we can't call any species as Solanum indicum. The plants hitherto known as Physalis minima L. are as such correctly P. angulata L.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Smita Raskar

Apr 6, 2011, 2:12:19 PM4/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
thanks for info.i hv corrected it to P. angulata

Neil Soares

Apr 7, 2011, 12:35:52 AM4/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix

Hi Prof. Singh,

  Sought a clarification from Dr. Almeida. His take on this:

-         Most of the Physalis species found in India are not indigenous but introduced from the Americas.

-         Linnaeus described Physalis minima and hence a type specimen must exist.

-         The nomenclature of Indian species is rather ambiguous - specimens initially described [possibly even in Cooke’s Flora] as P. minima had large flowers and would therefore now be labelled P.angulata.

-         P.minima [with tiny flowers] does exist and has been recorded by Dr. Almeida in a few places including the Borivali N.P., Bombay.

My plants have large flowers and would therefore be P.angulata.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2011, 12:45:12 AM4/7/11
to Neil Soares, Smita Raskar, manudev madhavan, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Thanks Neil ji