Requesting id of a plant 3 seen at Iruppu, Kodagu, Karnataka

shivaprakash adavanne

Aug 2, 2011, 11:40:02 AM8/2/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Please find attached photos of a herb with flower and fruit, but not
of good quality picture, requesting id. This was seen at Iruppu,
Kodagu, Karnataka on 30.07.2011

Regards
a.shivaprakash

DSCN9716.JPG
DSCN9717.JPG
DSCN9718.JPG

Smilax004

Aug 2, 2011, 12:17:29 PM8/2/11
to efloraofindia
Would you please share some more information on this interesting
Commelinaceae plant? I am interested in knowing whether you could see
only this individual or more of the same.

If there were more individuals around, was there any difference in the
inflorescence?

Was the stem (at least the base) trailing on the ground?

Thanks and Regards,
Giby
>  DSCN9716.JPG
> 64KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN9717.JPG
> 59KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN9718.JPG
> 75KViewDownload

shivaprakash adavanne

Aug 2, 2011, 12:26:28 PM8/2/11
to Smilax004, indian...@googlegroups.com

3-4 Plant was about a feet height amid strobilanthus ; all were at same height; besides a stream; i too searched in commelinanceae, but didn't succeed.I remember them erect, straight from soil, not trailing.

regards
a.shivaprakash

Smilax004

Aug 2, 2011, 12:29:51 PM8/2/11
to shivaprakash adavanne, indiantreepix
Thanks for the additional information. Let me try for this. I too have
seen this plant at higher reaches of Brahmagiri hills that was also
along the streams. But there were no flowers that time.

Regards
Giby

Ritesh Choudhary

Aug 2, 2011, 8:09:38 PM8/2/11
to efloraofindia
Not much knowledged about Karnataka plants...but this looks like
Pollia sp. to me.

Mayur Ji may confirm it.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Smilax004

Aug 3, 2011, 1:03:00 AM8/3/11
to efloraofindia
Please check Pollia secundiflora (Syn. Pollia secundiflora var.
indica and Pollia sorzogonensis var. indica) of Commelinaceae family

I am little doubtful about the inflorescence

Please check whether the fruits are indehiscent and blue in color at
maturity.

If not, we may need to reconsider the id.

Regards,
Giby

Mayur Nandikar

Aug 6, 2011, 4:54:48 AM8/6/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Hello,

Thank you
--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 6, 2011, 7:13:20 AM8/6/11
to Mayur Nandikar, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne

Dictyospermum ovalifolium has a synonym, Aneilema ovalifolium and is endemic to the Western Ghats.

Shivaprakashji,

Few clarifications (please consider these clarifications for better understanding of the species).

Whether the fruits are dehiscent or indehiscent and blue at maturity?
whether the leaves (especially lower leaves) petioled or not? and
the number of perfect stamens.

Please check and share these information, if possible.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Mayur Nandikar

Aug 6, 2011, 9:18:08 AM8/6/11
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne
Hello everyone

First up all I wish to clear genus Aneilema is truly African genus and not a single species of Aneilema is found in India.

However, all the earlier Indian Aneilema species are synonymous under few genera like Murdannia, Dictyospermum, Pollia and Rhopalephora.

All these above mentioned genera are differentiate on the basis of capsule and stamen character.
Stamens 6..........Tradescantieae (Cyanotis, Amischtolype, Callisia, Tradescantia, Belosynapsis, etc)
Stamens 2-3 .................................... (Commelina, Murdannia, Pollia, Rhopalephora, Dictyospermum)

Stamens antesepalous..............................Murdannia
Stamens all anterior............................
Fruits sticky with hook-hairs.......................Rhopalephora
Fruit indehiscent, berry like.........................Pollia
Fruit dehiscent ........................................Dictyospermum

Dictyospermum Wight
Thyrses mostly 5- 16 cm long .........................Dictyospermum montanum Wight
Thyrses mostly 4- 6 cm long............................Dictyopsermum ovalifolium Wight

And I am sure (its my personal opinion) the above posted specimen is Dictyopsermum ovalifolium Wight

Thank you for giving me opportunity to explaining the things again.

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 6, 2011, 2:02:28 PM8/6/11
to Mayur Nandikar, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne
Dear Mayur ji,

Thank you very much for the wonderful and clear explanation on Dictyopsermum ovalifolium.

Dear all,

Do any one has the following publications, If someone has these papers would you please share the same with me.

The classification of Commelinaceae
J. P. M. BRENAN

Article first published online: 28 JUNE 2008

in Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society (pages 349–370)

and

A revision of the genus Aneilema R. Brown (Commelinaceae) with a cytotaxonomic account of the West African species
J. K. MORTON
Article first published online: 28 JUNE 2008
in Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society
(pages 431–478)

Thanks and Regards,