For ID 230911 NS1

Neha Singh

Sep 23, 2011, 3:41:51 AM9/23/11
to efloraofindia

Hi friends, requesting Id for  attached flower bush .

Melastomataceae family ???

Habit - Bush
Habitat - Planted
Location- University Of Pune Garden
Date- 12th Nov 2010.

Regards
Neha Singh

Univ.JPG
Melastomataceae.JPG

Balkar Arya

Sep 23, 2011, 5:28:13 AM9/23/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
looks like Osbeckia
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Tanay Bose

Sep 23, 2011, 9:46:58 AM9/23/11
to Balkar Arya, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Osbeckia octandra?
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Neha Singh

Sep 23, 2011, 11:04:05 AM9/23/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, tanay bose

Osbeckia
for sure but which I m uncertain.
In some pics it looks like
Osbeckia octandra and  in others like Osbeckia wayanadensis .

But I m no expert so Tanay sir may be you are right.

Regards
Neha Singh.

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 26, 2011, 2:08:22 AM9/26/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Dear Neha,

This is not O. wynadensis, I think.

Please check Osbeckia chinensis, a creeping plant.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Neha Singh

Sep 26, 2011, 11:15:35 AM9/26/11
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Giby Sir, in 2-3 pics it does resembles  Osbeckia chinensis but in most of the pics of O. chinensis the leaves are not ovate ( as in my pic ) but linear.

 eg- http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_rodd/4480735992/ .

If leaves of O. chinensis are ovate then this one is  chinensis certainly.

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 26, 2011, 1:26:15 PM9/26/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
I think Neha Ji has a point by saying Osbeckia chinensis leaves are not but are linear-lanceolate.
You may see the diagram of O. chinensis drawn by Osbeck @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osbeckia

Now what species this could be I have seen O. waynadensis in the wild they are different.
Would you please let me know the number of stamens and whether they are of equal length or not.

Regards
Giby

hari lal

Sep 27, 2011, 12:06:31 AM9/27/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Neha Singh, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
nice photography neha jee its new for me thanks
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Neha Singh

Sep 27, 2011, 4:04:47 AM9/27/11
to efloraofindia, hari lal

Thanks Hari lal ji. This is first Osbeckia for me too.

Regards
Neha Singh

Neha Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 6:13:09 AM10/13/11
to efloraofindia
Finaly identified by dear Giby Sir as Heterotis rotundifolia.

Thanks