small herb from Ooty for id 020211MK2

Muthu Karthick

Feb 2, 2011, 1:58:52 AM2/2/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly help to id this small herb found in a garden planted at Ooty town, Nilgiris.

Date/Time-

24-01-2011 / 08:50 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2200asl; Ooty, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

garden

Plant Habit-

herb

Height/Length-

15 cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

ca.15 cm long; cylindric

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Raceme;

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

blue; c. 0.5 X 0.25 cm

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG
IMG_3371.JPG
IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3375.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 2, 2011, 3:59:08 AM2/2/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I hope Muscari armeniacum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

fa.ab...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2011, 4:16:02 AM2/2/11
to Muthu Karthick, indian...@googlegroups.com
Grape hyacinth if I am not mistaken. F A

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:28:52 +0530
To: indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:61937] small herb from Ooty for id 020211MK2

Na Bha

Feb 2, 2011, 6:21:07 AM2/2/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I have just this Foto from April 2008 from my garden in Ritterhude.
We call it Traubenhyazinthe,  which I found has the name Muscari fam. Hyacinthaceae
but further details i don't know. We have two colors white and blue. Mein blueone is supposed to be Muscari botryoides. I shall make more fotos this year.
Regards
Nalini
Traubenhyazinthe-100_0649.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Feb 2, 2011, 6:40:51 AM2/2/11
to Na Bha, indiantreepix
Dear all,
Many thanks for the id. May I know the recent name for this herb? Any synonym for this?
--
Muthu Karthick, N

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 2, 2011, 7:30:47 AM2/2/11
to Muthu Karthick, Na Bha, indiantreepix
Frankly speaking, there seems to be little to choose from M. armeniacum and M. botryoides. Both are known as Grape hyacinth; M. armeniacum as Garden Grape hyacinth and M. botryoides as Compact Grape hyacinth. The most important difference between the two species being that tips of perianth are recurved in M. botryoides, but erect in M. armeniacum; fls are ca 3 mm long in M. botryoides, 6-8 mm M. armeniacum; leavese qualling the scape in M. botryoides, exceeding in M. armeniacum.
    I may be wrong but to me Muthu ji's plant appears M. armeniacum and Nabha ji's M. botryoides.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
.

Muthu Karthick

Feb 3, 2011, 3:37:16 AM2/3/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Na Bha, indiantreepix
Yes, Singhji. My plant has leaves exceeding the scape; hence could be confirmed as M. armeniacum. But the perianth tip also recurved here sir, ?

J.M. Garg

May 17, 2011, 12:34:45 AM5/17/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, nabha meghani, Gurcharan Singh, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I have just this Foto from April 2008 from my garden in Ritterhude.

We call it Traubenhyazinthe,  which I found has the name Muscari fam. Hyacinthaceae
but further details i don't know. We have two colors white and blue. Mein blueone is supposed to be Muscari botryoides. I shall make more fotos this year.
Regards

Nalini”

Frankly speaking, there seems to be little to choose from M. armeniacum and M. botryoides. Both are known as Grape hyacinth; M. armeniacum as Garden Grape hyacinth and M. botryoides as Compact Grape hyacinth. The most important difference between the two species being that tips of perianth are recurved in M. botryoides, but erect in M. armeniacum; fls are ca 3 mm long in M. botryoides, 6-8 mm M. armeniacum; leavese qualling the scape in M. botryoides, exceeding in M. armeniacum.
    I may be wrong but to me Muthu ji's plant appears M. armeniacum and Nabha ji's M. botryoides.” from Singh ji.

“Yes, Singhji. My plant has leaves exceeding the scape; hence could be confirmed as M. armeniacum. But the perianth tip also recurved here sir, ?” from Muthu ji