Flora of Uttarakhand- Valley of Flowers- The path

1 view

J.M. Garg

Jan 3, 2011, 7:35:12 AM1/3/11
to efloraofindia

Captured on 12/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000 ft.) to Valley of Flowers (around 12500 ft.).

Don’t miss it in 2011.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Valley of Flowers I IMG_4338.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 3, 2011, 8:01:22 AM1/3/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
There is an ironic story of my travel to VoF. All the time, I wanted
to take many pics, but I was skeptic that my batteries will go off and
then my memory card will get full, so I was concentrating more on
Orchids. To my surprise, when I returned back to Govind Ghat and then
returned to Badrinath, I then realised that I already had a spare
battery and a spare 2GB card in one of the small zippers in my bag.

To add to the irony, many of my files got corrupted while transferring
them to a PC at the base camp of one of our colleagues :(( [Problem
was in the PC itself].
I must have taken 200 pics of the rarest close sighting of the
Himalayan Monal, of which less than 20 remained uncorrupted!!!

But surely although I was not well both physically and mentally, I did
travel all the way and visited both VoF, Hemkunt Sahib, Badrinath,
Mandal, Tunganath and came back....plants kept me going and so did the
reasons why I went !! I succeeded for plants, but for others, I failed
and ultimately became an atheist.

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

J.M. Garg

Jan 4, 2011, 12:39:48 AM1/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hi, Pankaj ji,
I think this always happens with everybody. One has to be ready to back up from such risks in future.
Despite having two different bodies with a total of around 12 GB memory, I got short on memory.
Fortunately I got get hold of a new 2 GB card from Ghangaria. Battery was not a problem as I had spare for both the bodies & would charge everyday due to returning back to Ghangaria everyday. Fortunately I had my Laptop with me which I left at Govind Ghat & downloaded my images there.