Are any members of the group interested in exchanging seeds in Pune?

Ashwin Baindur

May 26, 2010, 9:36:36 AM5/26/10
to indiantreepix
Dear friends,

My college in Pune has a wonderful campus & many trees/plants/shrubs.

Recently, I have seen seeds of Gokarn (Clitorea terneata), African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon),  Chandan (Santalum album), Datura (Datura inoxia) etc besides the usual trees such as Amaltas (Cassia fistula), Gulmohar (Delonix regia), Vawla (Marathi) ( Holoptelea integrifolia), Sausage tree (Kigelia pinnata), Dolichandrone etc.

Is anyone interested in seeds for rearing plants?

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur
Col Ashwin Baindur
OIC Corps Archive & Museum, CME, Dapodi Pune 411031
Tel : 020-27147976 (R), Mob : 09923454462
Email: ashwin.baindur(at)gmail.com, ashwin_baindur(at)yahoo.com

Balkar Arya

May 26, 2010, 10:47:31 AM5/26/10
to Ashwin Baindur, indiantreepix
Dear Ashwin Ji
I need seeds of Sausage tree (Kigelia pinnata) and Chandan (Santalum album). How can i get them from you.
Thanks

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

mani nair

May 26, 2010, 10:51:17 AM5/26/10
to Balkar Arya, Ashwin Baindur, indiantreepix
Dear Ashwinji,

I would be grateful if you can send me some seeds of Chandan.  I will plant the trees in our Society and nearby schools.
My address is
394/C Lamington Chambers,
Lamington Road,
Mumbai - 400 004.
Tel: 98204 33853

Ashwin Baindur

May 26, 2010, 12:14:46 PM5/26/10
to Rakesh Biswas, mani nair, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkarji, Maniji, I have noted your requirement for the seeds. I will collect them this week & get back later.

Rakeshji, I do not know if the trees you mentioned are there in our campus. I think not. Sorry.

Maniji, Chandan is a root parasite and requires supporting plants which it can parasitise. The tree is not beautiful but generally thin, dark. It also invites thieves who mistakenly cut it down at a young age. Chandan tree, I am told, requires to mature many years before its wood gets the sandalwood attributes. So it is really unsuitable to plant in the city. However I will send you the seeds as requested.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur
Col Ashwin Baindur
OIC Corps Archive & Museum, CME, Dapodi Pune 411031
Tel : 020-27147976 (R), Mob : 09923454462
Email: ashwin.baindur(at)gmail.com, ashwin_baindur(at)yahoo.com
One does not often associate James Michener with nature-writing.Yet it is difficult to find one of his epics which has not been embellished by a tale about the land, its formation, the animals, the plants and the people who live amongst them....

Read "Epic splendour- The nature writing of James Michener. " in...

Blog:  http://thebutterflydiaries.wordpress.com/2010/02/13/epic-splendour/

"The Butterfly Diaries" The natural travails of an Army Officer in Hindostan!

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would you be having seeds of Chironji ( Buchananea Lanzan) and Mahua?

regards,

rakesh

Rakesh Biswas MD
Professor,
Department of Medicine,
People's College of Medical Sciences,
Bhanpur, Bypass road,
Bhopal-462037 (M.P.) India
Office Tel: +91 - 755 - 4005210
Office Fax: +91 - 755 - 4005112
Residence:+91-755-2682502
Mob:9755619861
email:rakesh...@gmail.com
http://peoplesgroup.academia.edu/RakeshBiswas

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 26, 2010, 8:44:12 PM5/26/10
to Ashwin Baindur, Rakesh Biswas, mani nair, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Lantana or tuar are the parasites which one needs to sow along with white chandan seeds.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Ashwin Baindur

May 27, 2010, 3:28:07 AM5/27/10
to Mani Nair, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar jee & Mani jee, I have collected the seeds today and your seed packets are being despatched by registered post tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any seeds to send me back. If you dont have that is okay. Let me know the names. If I want any of them I will let you know.

Balkar jee, the round seeds are the Chandan while the smaller tablet shaped ones are from Kigelia pinnata.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur
Col Ashwin Baindur
OIC Corps Archive & Museum, CME, Dapodi Pune 411031
Tel : 020-27147976 (R), Mob : 09923454462
Email: ashwin.baindur(at)gmail.com, ashwin_baindur(at)yahoo.com
One does not often associate James Michener with nature-writing.Yet it is difficult to find one of his epics which has not been embellished by a tale about the land, its formation, the animals, the plants and the people who live amongst them....

Read "Epic splendour- The nature writing of James Michener. " in...

Blog:  http://thebutterflydiaries.wordpress.com/2010/02/13/epic-splendour/

"The Butterfly Diaries" The natural travails of an Army Officer in Hindostan!

Madhuri Pejaver

May 27, 2010, 11:19:35 AM5/27/10
to Ashwin Baindur, indiantreepix
Dear Sir,
I was not able to write earlier, but i work with one NGO called Hariyali. I had send one write up regarding the seed soying on either side of highway from Thane till Dhule.Its a big project and we will require tons of seeds for it. I had thought if anyone in the group is interested and stay at any transit of the area to work may help us in this project.
Now how many seeds can you collect. How can i pick them up? do you know anybody who can help us.
We also have a nursary where we grow saplings too. Hariyali is working in this field for last 14 years. And has taken up many projects of water conservation and tree plantation. Has planted lacs and lacs of trees.
I will be in Pune on 1st May night and 2nd May for marriage. I have one or two students staying in Pune. They can collect the seeds from you.
if anything can be figured out i will be happy.
Madhuri

Jun 7, 2010, 4:57:59 PM6/7/10
to Ashwin Baindur, indian...@googlegroups.com, Padmini Raghavan, Dr Janaki Turaga, Dr JRB Alfred
Sir I will try to conta ct. You toarriow,m as I myself was out I was not a le to go through your write up wbuch you had send a link.
Sure my students will meet you
Thanks again
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel