Wrightia tinctoria

Pravir Deshmukh

Apr 20, 2011, 5:43:32 AM4/20/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All

The attach plant is Wrightia tinctoria of Apocynaceae, recorded from my home town Warud from Maharashtra.

--
Pravir Deshmukh
09717611977

Ushadi micromini

Apr 21, 2011, 11:17:01 AM4/21/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Pravir: what a nice illustration... of sweet indrajav *Wrightia
tinctoria * that you just presented...,
I recently spotted Holarrhena pubescens,the regular indrajav in a
local garden.... may be they both flower and fruit at the same time?

I need to go back and check for the fruits as they set in.... can you
also look out for the seedpods in a months time may be....
thanks USha di

On Apr 20, 2:43 pm, Pravir Deshmukh <prav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> The attach plant is *Wrightia tinctoria *of Apocynaceae, recorded from my
> home town Warud from Maharashtra.
>
> **
> --
> Pravir Deshmukh
> 09717611977
>
>  DSC_10351.jpg
> 526KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_10241.jpg
> 476KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_10331.jpg
> 948KViewDownload

Vijayasankar

Apr 21, 2011, 12:15:33 PM4/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Wrightia tinctoria is a glabrous plant. This should be either W. arborea or W. pubescens.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Apr 21, 2011, 9:23:58 PM4/21/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Raman and all at eflora:
So, very interesting... is there a key to diferrentiating these
various wrightias.... for arm chair ?botanist like me? if yews, can
you share it ?
if you will share it I 'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Usha di

On Apr 21, 9:15 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Wrightia tinctoria* is a glabrous plant. This should be either *W. arborea*or
> *W. pubescens*.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Ushadi micromini <

Ushadi micromini

Apr 21, 2011, 9:33:33 PM4/21/11
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar
Dr Raman: I must say Dr Raman you have great eyes, I looked at the
pic 2 of this thread, and at higher mag can see the fuzz and "hairs"
at the edges of the leaves, so lesson for me... or any newbie...look
at the contents of the pictures carefully, at ALL the features...
thank you for the lesson...
Usha di...
ps: my request for the key stands...

On Apr 22, 6:23 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Mahadeswara

Apr 22, 2011, 1:34:21 AM4/22/11
to efloraofindia
Not W.tinctoria. May be other species of Wrightia. Please check the
characteristic fruits, which are long and joined at the end even when
the fruit dehisces. Leaves are quite different in W.t.

On Apr 20, 2:43 pm, Pravir Deshmukh <prav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> The attach plant is *Wrightia tinctoria *of Apocynaceae, recorded from my
> home town Warud from Maharashtra.

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 22, 2011, 3:26:58 AM4/22/11
to efloraofindia
The fruit about which Mahadeswara ji is saying is visible in this film.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pankajoudhia#p/a/u/2/8tiQhCZKtOQ

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Vijayasankar

Apr 22, 2011, 2:37:23 PM4/22/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
As per FoC, W. arborea has corona shorter than anthers. So this plant (corona longer than anthers) may qualify to W. pubescens.

But I need some inputs from you all.......Garg ji's pictures in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wrightia_tinctoria_in_Hyderabad_W2_IMG_7504_.jpg) have pubescens on leaves & inflorescence.
But they are glabrous in these links: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/indianature/20/1277805894/8_sgnp-june.jpg/tpod.html    &     http://www.flickr.com/photos/21123120@N07/4682475892/in/photostream/#/

Another link for W. pubescens (?).. http://www.flickr.com/photos/phuonglovejesus2782010/5543230704/in/photostream/ ....
...here the corona is completely different from the posted picture here. And I have questions also about the distribution of W.pubescens in India (and MH).

Let's explore further...

Thanks Dr.Usha, for the response. The following links provide keys to different species of Wrightia:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=134988 (Fl.China)
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=134988 (Fl.Pakistan)

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2011, 4:18:19 AM8/10/11
to efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, pka...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, anala...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, raani...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, devar...@gmail.com, sheeta...@gmail.com, Pravin Kawale, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi micromini, Mahadeswara Swamy

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Wrightia tinctoria is a glabrous plant. This should be either W. arborea or W. pubescens
Regards
Vijayasankar Raman”

Not W.tinctoria. May be other species of Wrightia.   Please check the characteristic fruits, which are long and joined at the end even whenthe fruit dehisces.  Leaves are quite different in W.t.” from Mahadeswara ji.

“As per FoC, W. arborea has corona shorter than anthers. So this plant (corona longer than anthers) may qualify to W. pubescens.

But I need some inputs from you all.......Garg ji's pictures in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wrightia_tinctoria_in_Hyderabad_W2_IMG_7504_.jpg) have pubescens on leaves & inflorescence.

Another link for W. pubescens (?).. http://www.flickr.com/photos/phuonglovejesus2782010/5543230704/in/photostream/ ....
...here the corona is completely different from the posted picture here. And I have questions also about the distribution of W.pubescens in India (and MH).

Let's explore further...

Thanks Dr.Usha, for the response. The following links provide keys to different species of Wrightia:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=134988 (Fl.China)

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=134988 (Fl.Pakistan)” from Vijaya Sankar ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSC_10351.jpg
DSC_10241.jpg
DSC_10331.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 7, 2011, 11:20:17 AM11/7/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pravir, Vijayasankar Raman, ushadi Micromini, M Swamy, Pankaj Oudhia, dinesh...@gmail.com, pka...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, anala...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, raani...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, devar...@gmail.com, sheeta...@gmail.com, kawale...@gmail.com
Yes it is W.arborea

santhosh
--
SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. SANTHOSH KUMAR

Pravir Deshmukh

Nov 8, 2011, 1:01:13 AM11/8/11
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, ushadi Micromini, M Swamy, Pankaj Oudhia, dinesh...@gmail.com, pka...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, anala...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, raani...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, devar...@gmail.com, sheeta...@gmail.com, kawale...@gmail.com
Dear all its a Wrightia arborea

Thanks for the correct id

--
Pravir Deshmukh
09717611977

Samir Mehta

Nov 8, 2011, 7:36:49 AM11/8/11
to efloraofindia
Please see my post

https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/f4536a999b4ad4d8/c1fe27f4c7bf0ad9?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Wrightia+arborea#c1fe27f4c7bf0ad9

for W. arborea.

Need time to comment on the images in this thread but they are not
W.arborea.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

On Nov 8, 11:01 am, Pravir Deshmukh <prav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all its a *Wrightia arborea *

Samir Mehta

May 13, 2012, 8:23:58 AM5/13/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is Wrightia pubescens.

Please refer to Vijaysankar ji's observations above (corona longer than anthers) and the leaves are also pubescent but this characteristic is not well seen in these images.

Vijaysankar ji, we have W. pubescens in Mahaharashtra.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

Vijayasankar

May 13, 2012, 1:57:49 PM5/13/12
to Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Samir ji for the responses.
Even though the leaves in the posted pictures are resembling that of Wrightia pubescens, the corollary corona as well as the petals are somewhat (rather clearly) differ from the ones in the following links. And I don't think it can be a variation:
http://www.biotik.org/laos/species/w/wripu/wripu_en.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53395767@N03/5543230704

Let's re-search further...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Samir Mehta

May 14, 2012, 10:14:37 AM5/14/12
to Vijayasankar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Firstly Vijaysankar ji, I stand corrected on Wrightia pubescens distribution.

It is not reported from Maharashtra (confirmed by Shrikant Ingalhalikar) and not mentioned in Flora Maharashtra by M.R. Almeida.

I also agree with your observation on corollary corona looking distinctly different.

Will have to wait a little while longer for the matter to resolve.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

Samir Mehta

May 14, 2012, 10:16:10 PM5/14/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Vijayasankar
Vijaysankar ji,

Please apply FoC keys and let us know the possible answer(s).
I have applied FoC keys and another (and with available information in posted images plus from my own collection) I keep coming back to W. pubescens despite of the fact that it has so far not been reported from our region.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

P.S.: found this thread after considerable effort this time.