The flower of Crinum latifolium with 12 petals, 12 stamens & 2 stigmas

shubhada nikharge

Jun 9, 2011, 2:35:44 PM6/9/11
to indian tree pix
Hi all,
The crinum lilies have bloomed after the 1st shower on 2nd June 2011. I have been observing the plot at CEC, on BNHS land at Goregaon(East), Mumbai for last 4 years where at least 20 -25 plants of Crinum latifolium sprout. The flower of C. latifolium has 6 petals, 6 stamens, and 1 stigma.
I saw a very unusual flower of Crinum lily today which had 12 petals, 12 stamens and 2 stigmas. I had never seen such flower in last 4 years. so wanted to share with the pics.

Cheers,
Shubhada
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/sets/
http://www.saveranibagh.org
"I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Crinum latifolium flower with 12 petals 2011_06_09_cec_0336 e.jpg
Crinum with 12 petals 2011_06_09_cec_0344 e.jpg
Crinum with 12 petals, 12 stamens & 2 stigmas 2011_06_09_cec_0333 e.jpg
Crinum latifolium - normal flower e.jpg
Crinum latifolium normal flower of 6 petals 2011_06_09_cec_0320 e.jpg
Crinum latifolium normal flower of 6 petals e.JPG

Na Bha

Jun 9, 2011, 4:19:20 PM6/9/11
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Very interesting. Siamese twins sotosay. Thanks for sharing
Nalini

formp...@yahoo.com

Jun 10, 2011, 12:47:01 AM6/10/11
to shubhada nikharge, Efloraindia
Might be a case of natural polyploidy. Where the chromosomes while division of cells occur donot seperate. Leading to teraploidy and gigantism. If details required may have to write separate mail.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: shubhada nikharge <shubhada...@yahoo.co.in>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:05:44 +0530 (IST)
To: indian tree pix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:71359] The flower of Crinum latifolium with 12 petals, 12 stamens & 2 stigmas

Ushadi micromini

Jun 10, 2011, 1:17:11 AM6/10/11
to shubhada nikharge, efloraofindia
Subhada ji:
keen observation powers,
more to you...
thanks for spending time and sharing your finds
Usha di

======