Guaiacum officinale L. flowering

Rashida Atthar

Feb 13, 2011, 3:12:12 AM2/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Guaiacum officinale L. -Lignum vitae seen flowering at Rani baug ,  Mumbai on 6 Feb. 2011.  The small dark blue flowers  turn white after fading.

regards,
Rashida,
Lignum vitae flowers.JPG
Lignum vitae L. blooming.JPG

tanay bose

Feb 13, 2011, 10:47:53 AM2/13/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
This plant is native to West Indies
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 10:01:02 AM2/14/11
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. Tanay.

regards,
Rashida.

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 12:36:37 PM2/15/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
We have a white variety of Guaicum in Govt secretariat campus trivandrum, sorry I dont have a photograph with my end. Hope that also belongs to the same species?

santhosh
--
SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar

Rashida Atthar

Feb 16, 2011, 9:16:14 AM2/16/11
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Possibly the same species Dr.  Santhosh if the white flowers are the faded ones, initially dark blue. There are five ovate petals with acute tips.
The fruit is initially green, flat obcordate capsules enclosing ovoid seeds and turn orange brown on ripening. Ref : Trees of Mumbai.

regards,
Rashida.