DV - 09OCT10 - 1039 :: Ipomoea / Argyreia

Dinesh Valke

Oct 14, 2010, 12:52:43 PM10/14/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
ID please.

Date/Time : October 9, 2010 at 10.39am IST
Location Place : Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
Altitude : 67 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : 19°24'31.70"N, 72°53'52.61"E

Habitat : mixed deciduous forest, along road side

Plant
Habit
: climber
Length : about 2 - 3 m

Leaves
Type
: simple, alternate with entire margin
Shape : base cordate, suborbicular,
Size : about 8 - 12 cm, as long as wide

Flowers
Size
: about 5 - 6 cm long x 5 - 6 cm across
Colour : pale purple

Regards.

P1260734_cropped.jpg
P1260728.jpg
P1260728_cropped.jpg
P1260734.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 14, 2010, 10:37:28 PM10/14/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Dinesh, features of bracts and sepals are vital in ID of Argyreias.
I have guessed from overall appearance but the key features may not
show up in the pictures to convince others. Can you pls add on the
above? Regards, Shrikant
>  P1260734_cropped.jpg
> 113KViewDownload
>
>  P1260728.jpg
> 99KViewDownload
>
>  P1260728_cropped.jpg
> 124KViewDownload
>
>  P1260734.jpg
> 112KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2010, 2:52:29 AM10/16/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji, ... I thought the cropped versions : P1260734_cropped.jpg & P1260728_cropped.jpg would give clue to sepals and bracts ... do not have more photos and frankly, I get mixed up with sepals and bracts, better to say: no knowledge to elaborate.

My doubt is: this plant looks similar to Argyreia sericea, which relatively has a shorter and broader corolla tube

Few views of what I believe to be Argyreia sericea at
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Argyreiasericea&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 16, 2010, 9:31:48 AM10/16/10
to efloraofindia
Dinesh ji, yes I guessed this plant to be A. sericea from hairy
leaves, silvery white beneath, bracts silky hairy and with parallel
venation. However the plant on your flickr link seems to be A.
involucrata rather than A. sericea. Do take close ups of bracts and
sepals hence forth. Regards, Shrikant

On Oct 16, 11:52 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shrikant ji, ... I thought the cropped versions : P1260734_cropped.jpg &
> P1260728_cropped.jpg would give clue to sepals and bracts ... do not have
> more photos and frankly, I get mixed up with sepals and bracts, better to
> say: no knowledge to elaborate.
>
> My doubt is: this plant looks similar to *Argyreia sericea*, which
> relatively has a shorter and broader corolla tube
>
> Few views of what I believe to be *Argyreia sericea* athttp://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Argyreiasericea&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags
> > > 112KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2010, 10:17:17 AM10/16/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji ... visiting the link today will also show yesterday's views at Lion's Point, Lonavala.

Thus there are:

1) ... Oct 15, 2010 ... Lion's Point, Lonavala

2) ... Aug 27, 2010 ... Mahabaleshwar

3) ... Sep 26, 2009 ... (Pooja Farms) Kolad

4) ... Sep 21, 2009 ... Veravali Botanical Garden, Mumbai

5) ... Sep 21, 2008 ... Vaghbil, Thane.

One point in your FOS says that Argyreia involucrata has its leaves with rounded base, while almost all of the plants in this links collection seem to have cordate (I could be wrong).

With your response, realizing there could be at least two different plants ... however differentiating them confidently is getting difficult for me !!!

Following plants seem to be one kind ... cluster of bracts / sepals look similar to me
1) ... Oct 15, 2010 ... Lion's Point, Lonavala
3) ... Sep 26, 2009 ... (Pooja Farms) Kolad

The other three may belong to another / more kinds !!

Time permitting, you (and all friends) may visit the link, and ...
Clicking on any thumbnail will lead to the photopage ... clicking on "Actions" and then "View all sizes" will give option to see the photo in various sizes including original.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 24, 2010, 2:45:30 PM10/24/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
... more views, hopefully will help ID.

Date/Time : October 24, 2010 at 9.51am IST

Location Place : Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
Altitude : 232 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : 19°25'2.40"N, 72°54'27.62"E

Regards.
P1270990.jpg
P1270979.jpg
P1270980.jpg
P1270981.jpg
P1270983.jpg
P1270985.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 5, 2010, 2:59:38 AM11/5/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Resurfacing for ID ... Shrikant ji, more photos of another instance at Tungareshwar WLS are added.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 18, 2010, 6:17:17 PM11/18/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Ron_Convolvulaceae
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Shrikant ji..........................................Dinesh ji, yes I guessed this plant to be A. sericea from hairy leaves, silvery white beneath, bracts silky hairy and with parallel venation. However the plant on your flickr link seems to be A. involucrata rather than A. sericea. Do take close ups of bracts and sepals hence forth

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 18, 2010, 6:19:37 PM11/18/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dinesh Valke, Ron_Convolvulaceae
Resurfacing the annother set of photographs

Feedback to another set