More epiphytic orchids (Andaman Islands)

katarina stenman

Jan 30, 2011, 1:20:02 PM1/30/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Photos from 2011-01-08 shows a monopodial orchid, probably a Vanda from Elephant Beach, Havelock Island, Andamans Islands. I know it is impossible to ID Vandas without flowers but number of species might be limited, so does anyone know this one?

Regards
Katarina Stenman, Sweden

P1130433-del-fix-vanda.jpg
P1130433-Vanda-elefant-beac.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 30, 2011, 10:58:40 PM1/30/11
to katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
This doesnt look like Vanda to me. I need to check atleast fruit of
dry floral stalks.
If I had to guess then looking at the broad and dense leaves and leaf
a[ex, I could have gone for Rhynchostylis retusa. But not even 50%
sure of it.
I will have to check what species are there. I am at Delhi for few
days. Cant access much informations from net.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Katarina

Jan 31, 2011, 2:43:45 AM1/31/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks. If you find a species checklist please send me. Will post an
Dendrobium later. Unfortunately no flowers.
/Katarina

On 31 Jan, 04:58, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This doesnt look like Vanda to me. I need to check atleast fruit of
> dry floral stalks.
> If I had to guess then looking at the broad and dense leaves and leaf
> a[ex, I could have gone for Rhynchostylis retusa. But not even 50%
> sure of it.
> I will have to check what species are there. I am at Delhi for few
> days. Cant access much informations from net.
> Pankaj
>
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM, katarina stenman

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2011, 3:31:28 AM5/16/11
to efloraofindia, katarina stenman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, navend...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, pud...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

P1130433-del-fix-vanda.jpg
P1130433-Vanda-elefant-beac.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2011, 2:07:14 AM5/19/11
to efloraofindia, katarina stenman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, navend...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, pud...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com
A reply:
"There is only one species of Vanda (Vanda teres+ Papilionanthe teres) has been recorded from A & N Islands. The plant looks to me lie Aerides emericii if not Rhynchostylis retusa.

Regards,

Karthi"

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 69,000 messages on 30/4/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 19, 2011, 2:26:36 AM5/19/11
to efloraofindia
This could be Aerides emericii but can you please tell him to have a
look at the leaf apex, which is more retuse and has more than 2
points. I assume Aerides emericii will have only two pointed lobes.
But I have never seen this plant in real.
Who is he by the way?
Regards
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2011, 5:50:28 AM5/19/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
Hi, Pankaj ji,
He is Dr. K. Karthigeyan & seems to be expert on Andaman Flora & helping us in this regard.
May be other members have more details about him.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jan 1, 2016, 11:15:33 PM1/1/16
to efloraofindia, katarina...@emg.umu.se
This is again Rhyncostylis retusa. Very evident from the leaf apex which is retuse.
Pankaj