Wild Flower for ID : Kashmir : 121011 : AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 12, 2011, 2:20:31 AM10/12/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Found on the mountain slope on way to Gulmarg, Kashmir on the 11th Sept,11.
Geranium?
Aarti
DSC_0093.JPG

ajinkya gadave

Oct 12, 2011, 2:22:30 AM10/12/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
may be oxalis not sure

Prashant awale

Oct 12, 2011, 2:30:41 AM10/12/11
to ajinkya gadave, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Some Geranium sp.

Bhatt Sweta

Oct 12, 2011, 2:33:30 AM10/12/11
to ajinkya gadave, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Aarti ji can it be specified whether the flower belongs to which plant?!
Asking so because 2 different plants can be seen, leaves of one resamble Oxalis and the other might be near to Geranium...

Regards,
Shweta

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM, ajinkya gadave <ajinky...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Bhatt Shweta
Doctoral Research Student,

Balkar Singh

Oct 12, 2011, 3:12:27 AM10/12/11
to Bhatt Sweta, ajinkya gadave, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
It is Geranium Only
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Bhatt Sweta

Oct 12, 2011, 3:27:16 AM10/12/11
to Balkar Singh, ajinkya gadave, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Right Balkarji. Was trying to clear my doubts. Thanks.

Regards,
Shweta

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2011, 3:48:12 AM10/12/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Balkar Singh, ajinkya gadave, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Yes Geranium for sure
Most probably G. wallichianum, but it can be confirmed only from a close up of base of leaf (stipules).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 12, 2011, 6:01:01 AM10/12/11
to efloraofindia
This is indeed a Geranium, most probably, wallichianum.
Pankaj
>  DSC_0093.JPG
> 163KViewDownload

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 12, 2011, 6:19:05 AM10/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Bhatt Sweta, Balkar Singh, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar
Gurcharan ji,
Adding one more picture although the flower picture isn't very clear....the leaves are seen.
Aarti
DSC_0081.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2011, 6:34:52 AM10/12/11
to Aarti S. Khale, Bhatt Sweta, Balkar Singh, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar
Yes G. wallichianum for sure.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Nov 14, 2016, 4:44:29 PM11/14/16
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com
I shall be inspecting all the Geraniums posted on this site in due course.  I am in agreement that this is probably Geranium wallichianum (the foliage fits - though certainly makes it much harder to be sure without close-up images of flowers, foliage & stipules) but those reading this should be aware just how variable this species is in terms of flower colour.  Nasir in Geraniaceae (Flora of Pakistan) describes the petals as mauve but this is only a small fraction of the variation.  It is very difficult for herbarium taxonomists as in most cases they only have dried, pressed specimens to refer to.  Often the colour of dried flowers is different to fresh flowers plus in many cases accompanying field notes are minimal or non-existent, seldom mentioning flower colour.  I know of forms which are bluish with white centres, pink, mauve and all sorts in between from the Western Himalaya.

The same applies to colour of filaments and styles (which Nasir says is reddish).

This species can normally be distinguished by its large oblong to oval stipules.  It can normally be recognised but many other geraniums present considerable challenges identification-wise.   Those interested in other species should read my other posts about Geraniums.