Calophyllum inophyllum

Prashant awale

Aug 28, 2011, 1:13:11 PM8/28/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Seen the Flowering and Fruiting of Calophyllum inophyllum.
Family:
Clusiaceae.
Date/Time: 28-08-2011 / 10:15AM
Location: Mumbai.

Regards
Prashant
Calophyllum inophyllum-Sultan Champa-2.jpg
Calophyllum inophyllum-Sultan Chanpa-4.jpg
Calophyllum inophyllum-1.jpg
Calophyllum inophyllum-3.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Aug 28, 2011, 1:37:52 PM8/28/11
to efloraofindia
Close up of the flower is a rear sight... usually we get to see the
fallen flowers here.. since picking of flowers is a no no and the
trees we have in our parks are 30 - 40 years old.. hence quite tall,
beyond our reach... this is unique... thank you...

usha di

=====

On Aug 28, 10:13 pm, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Seen the Flowering and Fruiting of *Calophyllum inophyllum**.
> *Family: Clusiaceae.
> Date/Time: 28-08-2011 / 10:15AM
> Location: Mumbai.
>
> Regards
> Prashant
>
>  Calophyllum inophyllum-Sultan Champa-2.jpg
> 189KViewDownload
>
>  Calophyllum inophyllum-Sultan Chanpa-4.jpg
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  Calophyllum inophyllum-1.jpg
> 195KViewDownload
>
>  Calophyllum inophyllum-3.jpg
> 234KViewDownload

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 28, 2011, 1:49:18 PM8/28/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Nice pictures and presentation.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Tanay Bose

Aug 28, 2011, 1:54:21 PM8/28/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
The closeup of the flower is awesome
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Madhuri Raut

Aug 29, 2011, 11:20:24 AM8/29/11
to Tanay Bose, Giby Kuriakose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
The closeup of the flower looks as if I am looking at the flower itself and not the photograph. Beautiful
Regards
Bhagyashri

Satish Phadke

Aug 30, 2011, 1:19:27 AM8/30/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
It is called as undi उंडी  or Punnag.पुन्नाग  A tree common in coastal parts. I have seen these in Coastal Konkan near Rajapur. Many trees in Pondicherry too.
In Pune one tree is present In Abasaheb Garware college; One in Karve nagar in the lane opposite Tathawade Udyan. Was flowering in last fortnight.
Dr Phadke

ushadi Micromini

Aug 31, 2011, 1:02:22 PM8/31/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All including Giby ji and Satish ji :
In an ethnobotany course a few years ago, we were told by a visiting professor (name forgotten) :
in the old  days the seeds were collected by coastal village folks (read women)  and used for oil lamps....

recently saw conferences being advertised internationally about use of Calophyllum inophyllum cultivation for profit for bio diesel industry ....

so its old wisdom gathered by these women from their and their ancestors' experiences and use of their innate intellect , wonder if anybody thought of compensating them for their "patent"  and "TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER" ?    These same farmers // poor folks are asked to fork over major money for hybrid or "improved" seeds  and pay for intellectual rights of MNC scientists !!!!

Go figure...
Usha di

Satish Phadke

Sep 1, 2011, 11:57:36 AM9/1/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Absolutely right Usha di.
Local folks still use the fruits for oil.

Mahadeswara

Sep 2, 2011, 12:06:57 AM9/2/11
to efloraofindia
In Tamil Nadu the oil is not only used for lighting lamps but also
used in treating skin diseases. The tree is a sacred tree and planted
in temple premises (Shiva). A beautiful specimen tree is seen inside
Mylapore temple ( Kapaleswarar koil), Chennai.

On Aug 31, 10:02 pm, ushadi Micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>