ID request: 220211SP01

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 22, 2011, 7:07:54 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia, sheetal....@gmail.com
Location Pune:

Habit:Small tree

Inflorescence: Cauliflorous, compound capitulum

Flower: very sticky when touched.

Regards,
Sheetal Pachpande

Image0305.jpg
Image0306.jpg
Image0307.jpg
Image0308.jpg
Image0309.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 7:25:56 AM2/22/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, sheetal chaudhari, efloraofindia
To me this looks like a female tree of Broussonetia papyrifera.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 22, 2011, 7:40:32 AM2/22/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
which family?

Regards,
Sheetal Pachpande

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 22, 2011, 8:02:55 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, Pankaj ji is right on Broussonetia but this is a fruit (known as
Paper Muberry). The female flowers are greenish and hairy. Regards,
Shrikant

On Feb 22, 5:25 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me this looks like a female tree of Broussonetia papyrifera.
> Pankaj
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM, sheetal chaudhari

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 10:49:14 AM2/22/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes sir, this is a fruit and fruit will obviously occur on female tree !!!
just kidding...
Yes Sheetal, the family is Moraceae.
Regards
Pankaj

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 22, 2011, 12:31:57 PM2/22/11
to Pankaj Kumar, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thank you for ID Pankaj ji and Shrikant ji.

I have seen this tree for first time.

Is the fruit edible?

Regards,

Sheetal Pachpande

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 12:39:18 PM2/22/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, sheetal chaudhari, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Moneys do like it, dont know about humans.
I tried once, but it was almost tasteless...
Pankaj