ID required!

ravi g

Aug 7, 2011, 1:00:02 AM8/7/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I wanted confirmation whether it is gomphrena or centrostachys aquatica or completely different.  The first snap plant is quite large wheras the second plant was considerably smaller in size!
acanthaceae2.JPG
acanthaceae3.JPG

Mahadeswara

Aug 7, 2011, 2:58:23 AM8/7/11
to efloraofindia
The first photograph is Gamphrena species. The second photograph is
not clear. It belongs to Amarantaceae and not Acanthaceae.
>  acanthaceae2.JPG
> 259KViewDownload
>
>  acanthaceae3.JPG
> 112KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 7, 2011, 3:03:45 AM8/7/11
to ravi g, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ravi ji
while sending photographs for ID please take care about a few things

1. There should always be a unique subject line not not simple words like ID required
2. You should always provide some necessary information: whether the plant is wild or cultivated, habitat, place it was growing, approximale size of plant, leaves and flowers/flower heads.
3. Both plants Centrostachys and Gomphrena belong to Amaranthaceae and not Acanthaceae.
4. The first photograph belongs to Gomphrena gobosa and second to Gomphrena celosioides.
5. Centrastachys aquatica is a totally different plant as shown in the link below

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

bladderwort

Aug 7, 2011, 9:50:51 AM8/7/11
to efloraofindia
ThanQ Gurcharanji! Will surely let u know about the details of the
plant next time. I Hope u all tolerate my incomplete queries for
another two months since I have a busy work schedule. I will surely
remember to add up atleast one or two important characters that I have
noticed. Since I collected most of them near the shores of the lakes,
I thought probably it might belong to centrostachys aquatica. Thanq
for the identification gurcharanji. I seek blessings and good wishes
of such expert taxonomists!