Pseudobombax species

Satish Phadke

Dec 30, 2010, 10:53:01 AM12/30/10
to indiantreepix
I observed many trees of Pseudobombax flowering on 22/23 Dec 2010 near Rajapur Konkan.
I think these are Pseudobombax ellipticum. Pl. validate or otherwise.
The trees were totally leafless. Some trees were also spotted in Ambaghat.
Pseudobombax ellipticum is a non native tree and originates from Mexico but observing these trees in large numbers raised a doubt in my mind. Is it some other species?
Dr Phadke
Pseudobombax_MG_9444.jpg
Pseudobombax_MG_9443.jpg
Pseudobombax .jpg

Neil Soares

Dec 30, 2010, 11:45:10 AM12/30/10
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Hi,
 This is Bombax insigne. Also this is its flowering season.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

tanay bose

Dec 30, 2010, 11:46:26 AM12/30/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Bombax insigne !! very rare in bengal but seen few of them
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Satish Phadke

Dec 30, 2010, 12:13:33 PM12/30/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Thanks Adittya, Neil, Tanay for the ID.
It is indeed Bombax insigne a native tree.
Dr Phadke