Identification request :Ghatkopar tree ID2

Vinayak Kulkarni

May 15, 2011, 8:45:04 AM5/15/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Kindly identify this tree.

Date/Time-        15/05/2011       09:00AM
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-     Ghatkopar, Mumbai, Maharashtra. Altitude :Sea level
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-:  Urban
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  : Small tree
Height/Length- 7Mtrs approx
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-  as seen in picture
Inflorescence Type/ Size- as seen in picture
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- as seen in picture
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- small green as seen in picture

Tree.JPG
Leaves.JPG
Leaves & Fruits.JPG
Fruits & Leaves.JPG

Samir Mehta

May 15, 2011, 9:01:54 AM5/15/11
to efloraofindia
Careya arborea.
कुम्भा Kumbha

Regards,

Samir Mehta
>  Tree.JPG
> 275KViewDownload
>
>  Leaves.JPG
> 232KViewDownload
>
>  Leaves & Fruits.JPG
> 287KViewDownload
>
>  Fruits & Leaves.JPG
> 234KViewDownload

ajinkya gadave

May 15, 2011, 9:02:36 AM5/15/11
to Vinayak Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
Syzygium samarangense
Wax Apple, Wax Jambu, water apple

Smita Raskar

May 15, 2011, 11:52:46 AM5/15/11
to Vinayak Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
Syzygium jambos

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Vinayak Kulkarni <kulka...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Satish Phadke

May 15, 2011, 12:38:39 PM5/15/11
to Vinayak Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
Syzygium samarangense from Myrtaceae family.
The white juicy fruits  are sold on footpaths of Mumbai and Pune currently.
Called as Jaam locally.Very tasty
Dr Phadke

Satish Chile

May 15, 2011, 12:52:59 PM5/15/11
to Satish Phadke, Vinayak Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Satish ji, it is Syzygium samarangense

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Dinesh Valke

May 15, 2011, 3:43:14 PM5/15/11
to Satish Chile, Satish Phadke, Vinayak Kulkarni, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satish ji, ... since we being familiar with these fruits, would we agree that these have lot of water ?
The question keeps coming to my mind ... would there be a better possibility of this plant being Syzygium aqueum ? ... OR why not ?

Earnestly requesting responders to take a look at one of my posts at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/na1ZxqC3GUE/discussion

Regards.
Dinesh

Pudji Widodo

May 15, 2011, 11:08:46 PM5/15/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

To the best of my knowledge
Tree = Syzygium samarangense
Leaves = S. samarangense
Fruits = S. samarangense because
1. The fleshy calyx is elevated (never in S. aqueum)
2. The fruit skin is not very glossy
3. The fruit color is yellowish white, not whitish pink, pink, or red
4. The remaining style is relatively long
5. The fruit taste? This is the easiest key to determine

Best Wishes,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Dinesh Valke

May 17, 2011, 2:18:18 AM5/17/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Many thanks Widodo ji for Syzygium samarangense reasoning.
Makes me more eager to see a picture of Syzygium aqueum ... if anyone has it, please put it in a separate post.

Regards.
Dinesh.

prasanna gogate

May 28, 2011, 11:04:00 AM5/28/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia

dear all

this is red variety on our farm in deogad/sindhudurga/ maharashtra
DSC03287.JPG
DSC03306.JPG

Ushadi micromini

May 28, 2011, 10:25:01 PM5/28/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
This is not Kumbha.... sorry to say...
Usha di

========

Ushadi micromini

May 28, 2011, 10:34:41 PM5/28/11
to Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Smita ji:
not S. Jambos.... ... sorry to say
FRUITS Are very different... in looks, taste and insides, besides the
color etc...
and water content of its pulp...
Correct name is ... JAMRUL in bengali, local hindi speaking vendors
call it SHADA JAM, for lack of any name in their dialect,
scientifically it is , as identifified by so many here in this forum
such as Satish ji, Dineshji , Ajinkya ji, and Pudji ji et al........
*Syzygium samarangense* from Myrtaceae family. Currently growing and
fruiting in Kol Bot Garden....
ITS CURRENTLY in season being sold on the streets .. as shada jam...

by the way : the rose apple, S. Jambos... is also on the market,
though not as common, now a days in some good markets, but not seen
on the street vendors baskets...
usha
===

On May 15, 8:52 pm, Smita Raskar <smita.ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Syzygium jambos

JM Garg

Mar 25, 2018, 8:55:34 AM3/25/18
to efloraofindia
DSC03287.JPG
DSC03306.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 25, 2018, 9:05:23 AM3/25/18
to efloraofindia, Darshan Kokate, Pudji Widodo
These may be of S. aqueum as per Pudji's keys.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

DSC03287.JPG
DSC03306.JPG