16th Tree Appreciation Walk at Malabar Hill on 17th July Sunday at 7.30 am

Usha Desai

Jul 9, 2011, 2:58:48 AM7/9/11
to renee vyas vyas, 24eli...@gmail.com, kamal...@yahoo.com, shruti...@gmail.com, tris...@gmail.com, Aarti S. Khale, Aarushi, Abha, Aditya Sankhla, Ajay Uthra, Ajit Sawant, Anjali Lokur, Anjan Parekh, Anupreet Kaur Dhody, Anuradha Samant, Apurva Wadkar, Arun Agarwal, Aruna Rai, Asha, Ashutosh Mandarekar, Atul Pansare, B.K. Dalal, beena abdulrahiman, Bhakti Trivedi, Bhavna Menon, Chandru Bhatia, Chital Kapadia, Daksha Desai, Daksha Mehta, Dinesh Valke, Doreen, Dr Arpita Mesane, Dr Ashok Dalal, Dr Deepti Chandan, Dr Delep J. Shetty, Dr Ekta Bhatia, Dr K. N. Hozdar, Dr Salil Choksi, Dr Siddhesh R. Patil, Dr Sugandha Shetye, Dr Varsh Vadera, Dr Vijay Kulkarni, Dr Vijaya Patil, Dr Yogesh Kantharia, Durga Parikh, Elizabeth Shaji, Gayatri Dwivedi, Geeta Rane, geetaarun, Geetanjali Gopalan, Geetha Sivaram, H.S.Bathla, H.S.Gopalan, Harsh, Harshal Jain, Hetal Naik, Hutokshi, Hutoxi Italia, Jaikumar Radhakrishnan, Jayesh Patil, Jigeesha, Jyoti Kinger, Jyoti Palekar, Jyotin, K. Sivaram, Kalpana Malani, Kalpana Shah, katie bagli, Kaushal Sompura, kavishivdasani, Kavya Chimalgi, Kirti Wani & Praful Wani, Kripa Raman, Kumudini Mayur, Kush Naik, Lisa Varghese Thomas, Madhavi Shetmahajan, Madhusudan Vora, Mahazareen, Mahesh Parameswaran, Mahesh Raghuvanshy, Mallika Iyer, Manek K Mistry, Manisha Madhaikar, Mannan Pacha, Maria Corera, Mayuresh Shukla, Meena Chandani, Mina Chand, Mithu, Mohana Murali, Monica Bose, Mr Parikh, Mridual, Mridula Tatkar, Mrs Aruna Sawant, Mrs Kanti Shenoy, Mrs Rajeshree, Mrugank Kamdar, Ms Rao, N. Pralhad, Narendra Asija, Natasha D'souza, Neelam M Shaikh, Neelima Bhave, Nikita Mor, nita deb, P.S. Ganesh, Pervez Elavia, Platima Fernandes, Poonam Khopade, Pranav Shah, Prerna Asija, Priti Patil TATA Hospital, Prof Rajiv Sarin & Poonam Sarin, Puja Guleria, Radha Redij, Rajesh Shethia, Rama Bishnoi, Ranjeet, Raquelle, Ratna Pathak Shah, Reena Mittal, Rekha Shahane, Rinku Roychaudhari, Roshan, Roshan Panthakee, Rupali Chiplonkar, Rupesh Kadam, Rustom Dotiwala, Rutash, S. Raman, S.Shirekhas, Samaj rajput, Sameer Ashar, Samir Kapadia, Sanal Nair, Sandeep Parekh, Sanjay Marathe, Sanket Shelar, Sarita Mor, Seema Nitsure, Shashi Baliga, Sheela Sowani, sheila tanna, Sherna Engineers, Shriharsha Nitsure, Shriram Kapse, Shrya, shubhada, Sibani Mallik, Siddhartha Mirchandani, Silloo Marker, Sonal Jain, Sucharita Apte, Sudha H Shah, Sukhie Vora, Suman Ramanan, Swapnil Rath, Tarun, Tejaswini Pansare, Thomas Abraham, Usha Shah, Usha Soman, Utpala Ahire, V.S. Shenoy, Vanita Chiplonkar, Veera Dastoor, Vijay Soman, Vikas Warerkar, Vimal Nariman, Vinay Thinge, Vinayak Sharad Kulkarni, Vinitha Ramchandani, Viplav Gangar, Vithal Nadkarni, Vivek Lotlikar, Yasmin Dhunjisha, Yazdi Gnista, Seema Bhide

We, a group of nature lovers have decided to start free Tree Appreciation Walks in Mumbai.

Our aim is to create awareness and inculcate a love for the trees.

You are most welcome to join us for our walks.

The 16th Tree Appreciation walk is on Sunday 17th July 2011  at 7.30am

Venue:  Malabar Hill[Nearest railway station is Grant Road & Churni Road] ]

              Following buses halt at Kamala Nehru Park 57,67,82,,80ltd,103,105,106,108.

From Charni Road station, one can get 103,106,108.Please double check the buses .One has to get down at Kamala Nehru Park.

Time:  7.30 a.m.

Duration of walk:  2 hours

Meeting Point: Kamala Nehru Park near open air theater.

We will be covering part of Siri Road, Kamala Nehru Park and

Hanging Garden.This walk is dedicated to Dr. Sharadini Dahanukar whoes books Hirvai and Green Solace have inspired many tree lovers to visit Siri Road for Stocking Tree[Myroxylon balsamum]We shall be seeing a lot of Sandalwood Trees at Kamala Nehru Park and they are all flowering and fruiting. Ficus pumila at Hnaging Garden is fruiting. The Hanging Gardens in Mumbai was built in 1880. The initial idea behind the park was to protect the three huge water reservoirs over which it is built. The combined capacity of the water reservoirs is 30 million gallons So we will be able to appreciate many trees at eye level

Attached is the list of the shrubs and trees   we shall be showing you.

Photography is allowed.

Please go through the attachments re Topiaries at Hanging Garden

Please note, because of the heavy rains, the pathways may be  very slippery so wear proper footwear .Also beware of mosquitoes & bring insect-repellant like odomus.

Hope to see you all

Renee,Katie,Sheila,Hutoxi,Usha,Shubhada,Rajendra

On 21 June 2011 11:10, renee vyas vyas <renee...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Friends,

When I recall of our Walk on 12th June at Sagar Upavan, these lines comes to my mind...

“What would the world be, once bereft

   of wet and wildness? Let them be left,

   O let them be left, wildness and wet,

   Long live the weeds & the wildness yet.”

n     Gerard Manley Hopkins,

As soon as we entered the gardens, all of us, for a moment felt Suspended In Time,.......those rain drenched trees, shrubs....laden with flowers & fruit luring birds & bees to them and we all got bitten with child like curiosity.

Petrea volubilis, profusely flowering at one corner of the garden and Kamini on other side, would not allow anybody to move away from them. Fragrance of Bakul flowers filled the air, display of blossoms of Lady of the Night, Bauhinia acuminata, Jacaranda, the unusual flowers of Ramphal & Sitaphal, Gmelina philippensis, Sita Che Veni......kept us on our toe.

The Sagar Upavan is the best example of combination of native as well as exotic trees, shrubs, climbers, herbs in a garden.

We thank you all for joining us (Dr Usha, Katie, Dr Sheila,Shubhada,Rajendra, Renee) for the walk  and any suggestion about the walk from you will be greatly appreciated.

We also thank Jayesh Patil for identifying a shrub with beautiful red flowers called Leea coccinea ‘Rubra’.

Our next walk is on 17th July at Hanging Garden.......other details will follow later.

A request......our is an interactive group......we want all our members to share & take part in the discussions.......so please reply on “All reply” mode which will help all of us to be a part

Name of the field guides for trees.....

The Trees of Mumbai by Marselin Almeida & Naresh Chaturvedi of BNHS publication....BNHS office tel : 22821811

The Trees of Delhi by Pradep Kishen....published by Dorling Kindersley(India) P. Ltd available in Strand Book Depot tel No.22661994.

The Trees of Poona by Srikant Ingalhalikar is also available at Strand Book depot....they give 20% discount on all the books.

Best internet site for references...........www.flowersofindia.net

Thanking you once again,

Dr Usha, Dr Sheila, Katie, Shubhada, Rajendra, Renee

List of 31 trees of Malabar Hill for the walk on 17th July 2011.doc
Topiary at Hanging Garden.doc