Flora of Kaiga_ID_Please_24082011 PJ3.

PUTTARAJU K

Aug 24, 2011, 12:15:10 PM8/24/11
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

Flora of Kaiga_ID_Please_24082011 PJ3.Commonly seen flowering in monsoon.

Date/Time-:18/08/11   -    16:30
Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-   wild
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- shrub
Height/Length- 70cm-1m

With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,
SCIENTIFIC OFFICER,
KAIGA ATOMIC POWER PLANT,
POST-KAIGA, U.K.DISTRICT,
KARNATAKA -581400
MOB : 9448999150
EMAIL : pakshir...@gmail.com
             kputt...@npcil.co.in

DSC_0909 copy.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 24, 2011, 12:46:36 PM8/24/11
to indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Hi,
 This is Taro [Colocasia esculenta]. Will send my photographs of this later.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Aug 24, 2011, 1:05:44 PM8/24/11
to indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Hi,
 My photographs of this are already available at this link :

 Sending a few more.
                    With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 8/24/11, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Taro, Colocasia esculenta 1.jpg
Taro, Colocasia esculenta 2.jpg
Taro, Colocasia esculenta 3.jpg

Na Bha

Aug 24, 2011, 4:56:39 PM8/24/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Neil ji,
is that alu? अळू? never knew that they get so beautiful "flowers". Rhizome called अळूकुडी are eaten.
also leaves and stems can be eaten. Am I right?
How long does it take till it flowers?
Nalini

Neil Soares

Aug 24, 2011, 10:11:31 PM8/24/11
to Na Bha, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Hi,
 Affirmative. The local Marathi name is Alu. Being an annual the plants sprout with the onset of the monsoons and from my records over the last few years flowering occurs mainly in August with an occasional spill over into September.
                     Wirh regards,
                       Neil Soares.

H S

Aug 25, 2011, 1:33:33 AM8/25/11
to Neil Soares, Na Bha, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
yes Colocasia esculenta

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

PUTTARAJU K

Aug 28, 2011, 7:33:39 AM8/28/11
to H S, Neil Soares, Na Bha, indiantreepix
Hi

In Konkani it is called "tera", its tender leaf will be used as sabji mixed with dal is familiar in Karwar-Kaiga surrounding
area

Regards
Puttaraju, K,