Flora of Sahyadri & Konkan - Dolichandrone falcata

Rajesh Sachdev

Aug 5, 2011, 5:54:59 AM8/5/11
to efloraindia, wildflowerindia, india-nature-pixs, hopethane, wild mumbai
Name of Species: Dolichandrone falcata
Common Name: Medshingi
Family: Bignoniaceae
Conservation status: Medicinal importance
Photographed:19th April, 2011
Location: Barvi-Murbad Road, Badlapur, Maharashtra
Habitat Type : Forested Hill Road
Camera: OLYMPUS SP570UZ
Lens: OLYMPUS ED LENS AF ZOOM 4.6 - 92 mm, 1:2.8 - 4.6
Abundence: Known to be common in subjected region
Dolichandrone falcata (1).JPG
Dolichandrone falcata (2).JPG

Smilax004

Aug 5, 2011, 6:10:28 AM8/5/11
to efloraofindia

Nice pictures!
The flower opens by 20.00h and abscise by early morning hours. Hence
we wouldn't see flowers on the tree in the day time.
But we get flowers from the ground, beneath the tree, in the day.

Regards
Giby
>  Dolichandrone falcata (1).JPG
> 53KViewDownload
>
>  Dolichandrone falcata (2).JPG
> 73KViewDownload

Smilax004

Aug 5, 2011, 6:12:07 AM8/5/11
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
Would it be possible for you to upload a picture showing leaves and
mature flower buds in which the calyx is visible?

Regards,
Giby

Rajesh Sachdev

Aug 5, 2011, 6:12:15 AM8/5/11
to efloraindia
Right said..I observed the same....hence the flower appearing is one on the ground on shrub..thanks Giby
--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

Rajesh Sachdev

Aug 5, 2011, 6:16:48 AM8/5/11
to Smilax004, efloraindia
Gibyji, I only had those two pics, which I mailed in on egroup, shall take more clear angled photographs in next season flowering.

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2011, 7:01:18 AM8/5/11
to efloraofindia, Smilax004
Hi Dr. Giby,
   In a way you are right, but on point of fact, I have seen more flowers on the trees than on the ground even in the late evenings when I am returning to Bombay.
   Sending a few of my photographs.... as seen they were all taken in broad daylight.
                       Regards,
                         Neil Soares.

The flower opens by 20.00h and abscise by early morning hours. Hence
we wouldn't see flowers on the tree in the day time.
But we get flowers from the ground, beneath the tree, in the day.

Regards
Dolichandronr falcata flowers 1.jpg
Dolichandronr falcata flowers 2.jpg
Dolichandronr falcata flowers 3.jpg
Dolichandronr falcata flowers 4.jpg
Dolichandronr falcata flowers 5.jpg
Dolichandronr falcata flowers 6.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 5, 2011, 8:07:00 AM8/5/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thanks for the information Neil ji, which is new to me. Flower opening was in the night on different individuals of this species I have observed so far.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Satish Phadke

Aug 5, 2011, 11:09:46 AM8/5/11
to Rajesh Sachdev, efloraindia, wildflowerindia, india-nature-pixs, hopethane, wild mumbai
Not knowing that the flowers open in the evening(?)
Plenty of these are present on the Tekdis near my house. Have seen the flowers during different times of the day but didn't notice this specifically( May be most of my non weekend visits are in the evening)
Adding some of my pictures.
Dr Phadke
Dolichandrone.jpg
DSCN0331s.jpg