Tree for ID : 281210 : AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 28, 2010, 2:44:38 AM12/28/10
to efloraofindia
Tree at Temple of the Tooth, Kandy, Sri Lanka on the 17th of November, 2010.
Is it some Wrightia?
Flowers were very mildly fragrant.
Aarti
P1100936.JPG
P1100945.JPG

Nudrat

Dec 28, 2010, 11:27:03 AM12/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hello,

The plant in picture is not Wrightia as Wrightia has connivent
anthers, a feature that is clearly absent. My guess is the flowers
belong to Holarrhena antidysentrica. I could however be wrong.
>  P1100936.JPG
> 136KViewDownload
>
>  P1100945.JPG
> 100KViewDownload

Muthu Karthick

Dec 29, 2010, 2:43:17 AM12/29/10
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Any possibilities for this to be a Rubiaceae member?
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 20, 2011, 7:21:24 AM1/20/11
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Nudrat Sayed, Muthu Karthick
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Nudrat ji..............................................The plant in picture is not Wrightia as Wrightia has connivent

anthers, a feature that is clearly absent. My guess is the flowers
belong to Holarrhena antidysentrica. I could however be wrong.

Muthu ji..................................................Any possibilities for this to be a Rubiaceae member?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2011, 3:00:24 AM4/30/11
to efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, Nudrat, Aarti S. Khale

Resurfacing again for ID
Earlier feedback

Nudrat ji..............................................The plant in picture is not Wrightia as Wrightia has connivent anthers, a feature that is clearly absent. My guess is the flowers belong to Holarrhena antidysentrica. I could however be wrong.
Muthu ji..................................................Any possibilities for this to be a Rubiaceae member?

Apr 30, 2011, 3:09:59 AM4/30/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, Nudrat, Aarti S. Khale
To me it looks like Ixora.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 3:45:23 AM4/30/11
to Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, Nudrat, Aarti S. Khale
Ixora has 4 petals, here clearly 5... look like any of Apocynaceae flower

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Dinesh Valke

Apr 30, 2011, 3:54:25 AM4/30/11
to H S, Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, Nudrat, Aarti S. Khale
... to me, the centre of flower resembles that of Vinca species ... may be far away from actual genus.
Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Apr 30, 2011, 9:48:06 PM4/30/11
to Dinesh Valke, H S, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, Nudrat, Aarti S. Khale
Thanks H.S. ji for correcting me. Now i feel this is Kopsia arborea based on solitary drupes which turn bluish black on ripening (both unripe and ripe fruits seen in the picture), corymbose inflorescence and narrow corolla-lobes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgerus/4109253500/

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

H S

May 1, 2011, 4:05:17 AM5/1/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, nudrat.cat, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick

My profile:
Name: Alfred H.S. (please call me H.S)
Age: 30 years
Address: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Native of: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Academic: Masters in Ecology and Taxonomy, university of Mumbai
Occupation: Self employed...ecological consultancy to corporate, institutions, NGO and society
Ambition: Intense documentation, research and application based work throughout India

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Vijayasankar ji,
Absolutely great! Thanks for the id.
Dinesh ji, H S ji and all...thanks for the help in the right direction.
Regards,
Aarti

On 5/1/11, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks H.S. ji for correcting me. Now i feel this is *Kopsia arborea* based

> on solitary drupes which turn bluish black on ripening (both unripe and ripe
> fruits seen in the picture), corymbose inflorescence and narrow
> corolla-lobes.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgerus/4109253500/
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> ... to me, the centre of flower resembles that of *Vinca* species ... may

>> be far away from actual genus.
>> Regards.
>> Dinesh
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM, H S <hemsan.bh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ixora has 4 petals, here clearly 5... look like any of Apocynaceae flower
>>>

>>> --
>>>  - H.S.
>>>
>>> A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart
>>> of
>>> stone

J.M. Garg

Aug 14, 2011, 5:27:49 AM8/14/11
to efloraofindia, Nudrat, H S, Aarti S. Khale, Muthu Karthick, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback: