Flowering Tree | 20May2011AR02 from Bangalore

raghu ananth

May 20, 2011, 9:31:04 AM5/20/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flowering Tree | 20May2011AR02 from Bangalore
Date/Time-15 May 2011 08:23 AM
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Lalbagh, Bangalore
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-, Urban, Garden
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Tree
Height/Length-approx - 12 feet  approx
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape - Ellyptic, Toothed Margin, 8-15cms
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts - 6cms, White,
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- --Green, Globose, 4cms,

Regards
Raghu
DSC_4630hStraight.jpg
DSC_4620a.jpg
DSC_4622bInsect.jpg
DSC_4624cSide.jpg
DSC_4625dLeaves.jpg
DSC_4626eBark.jpg
DSC_4627fTree.jpg
DSC_4628gFruits.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 20, 2011, 9:55:06 AM5/20/11
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
.... looks like Mesua ferrea ... the leaves here seem to be broader ... some other species of Mesua ?
Regards.
Dinesh
'

Aarti S. Khale

May 20, 2011, 10:00:21 AM5/20/11
to efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com
Oncoba spinosa?
Recently I have photographed this flower at Muscat.
Regards,
Aarti

On May 20, 5:55 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> .... looks like *Mesua ferrea* ... the leaves here seem to be broader ...
> some other species of *Mesua* ?
> Regards.
> Dinesh
> '
>

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > *
> > Flowering Tree | 20May2011AR02 from Bangalore
> > Date/Time-15 May 2011 08:23 AM
> > Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Lalbagh, Bangalore
> > Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-, Urban, Garden
> > Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Tree
> > Height/Length-approx - 12 feet  approx
> > Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape - Ellyptic, Toothed Margin, 8-15cms
> > Inflorescence Type/ Size-
> > Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts - 6cms, White,
> > Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- --Green, Globose, 4cms,
> > Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-
>
> > Regards
> > Raghu

Dinesh Valke

May 20, 2011, 10:09:58 AM5/20/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
... you must be correct Aarti ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

raghu ananth

May 20, 2011, 10:16:01 AM5/20/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com

Oncoba spinosa. -Leaf and fruit description do agree in many aspects.

// The leaves are simple, ovate-elliptic in form with a somewhat pointed tip and rounded, broad base. The leaves are dark, glossy green in colour and somewhat leathery and hairless. The margins are coarsely toothed.

The rounded fruit of up to 60 mm in diameter, consists of a hard shell that becomes dark-reddish brown when mature and small, with shiny brown seeds embedded in a dry, sour, yellowish pulp. Fruit can be found on the tree from April to July. //

Thanks
Raghu

May 20, 2011, 11:00:58 AM5/20/11
to raghu ananth, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com
100%  Oncoba spinosa
first time i saw fruits of this beautiful flower thanks for sharing.

raghu ananth

May 20, 2011, 12:12:59 PM5/20/11
to Shanmugam Rajasekaran, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, dinesh...@gmail.com, ajinkya gadave
1. Walk from Lalbagh glass house  towards the Band stand
2. Look for Dillenia Indica - the Elephant apple tree - (towards your left)
    (During this time, the elephant apple tree can be easily spotted for it has literally no leaves but hundreds of large riped fruits on the every branches and on the ground. Probably  leaf shoots now ).
3. Just opp. to this tree is one of the tallest tree in Lal bagh. ( No name plate, I have to request for ID in eflora to know the name)
4. Next to this is our beautiful Oncoba spinosa - with 2-3 flowers per tree hidden among the leaves.
5. Look for the green fruits in the tree crown, again they are well camouflaged.
6. Plan to go before July, for the fruiting season ends then.

Hope this helps !

Thanks

Raghu

In one of flower photos, the central part (pistil?) is not visible.
Do these show different stages of flower development or is there any other significance?

Raghu ji, could you please tell me where to locate this tree inside Lalbagh?

Regards
Shan

Shanmugam Rajasekaran

raghu ananth

May 20, 2011, 1:00:45 PM5/20/11
to Shanmugam Rajasekaran, efloraofindia
Dear Shanmugham R,
Pistil
- the female part of the flower made up of the stigma, style, and ovary.
Perfect flower.
A flower that has both the male parts and female parts in the same flower.

Regards
Raghu

Shan Rajasekaran

May 20, 2011, 1:34:55 PM5/20/11
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
Thank you Raghu ji for patiently explaining to a novice.

Regards
Shan