28042011VAI1 - Seeds for ID

Vijay Anand Ismavel

May 1, 2011, 7:48:01 AM5/1/11
to Indian Treepix
Unidentified Seeds - on tree growing wild

Location: Makunda Christian Hospital campus, Karimganj District, Assam

Date: 28th April 2011
Makunda Seeds-7A.jpg

Neil Soares

May 1, 2011, 7:56:49 AM5/1/11
to Indian Treepix, Vijay Anand Ismavel
Hi,
 They are the seeds of a species of Sterculia possibly Sterculia villosa.
                         Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

H S

May 1, 2011, 10:14:10 AM5/1/11
to Neil Soares, Indian Treepix, Vijay Anand Ismavel
Indeed Sterculia villosa Roxburgh ex Sm.
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

deshmukh

May 2, 2011, 9:53:47 AM5/2/11
to efloraofindia
I feel it is Sterculia foetida

Suchita Deshmukh
>  Makunda Seeds-7A.jpg
> 150KViewDownload

Mayur Nandikar

May 2, 2011, 10:19:49 AM5/2/11
to deshmukh, efloraofindia
Hello
May be Sterculia villosa but authority should be only Roxburgh
and HS ji Sterculia villosa Roxburgh ex Smith is should be placed as a heterotypic synonym.
That wht I think.

Thank you.
--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

H S

May 6, 2011, 10:02:26 AM5/6/11
to Mayur Nandikar, deshmukh, efloraofindia
Yes Mr. Mayur
you are absolutely correct

Thanks

Gurcharan Singh

May 6, 2011, 11:06:03 AM5/6/11
to H S, Mayur Nandikar, deshmukh, efloraofindia
Dear Mayur ji and H S
Perhaps I am not able to comprehend. The name Sterculia villosa was first proposed by Roxburgh in Hort. Bengal. 50. 1814, but is not accepted as it is nom. nud., the name having become legitimate after description was provided by Smith in Cycl. (Rees) 34: Sterculia no. 16. 1816, as such the name becomes S. villosa Roxburgh ex Sm with official date of publication as 1816.
Roxburgh evidently published detailed description only in 1832 in Fl. Ind. (Roxburgh) 3: 153 (-154). 1832 [Oct-Dec 1832]. I wonder then how Sterculia villosa Roxburgh, 1832 get precedence over Sterculia villosa Roxburgh ex Sm, 1816.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor